Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: good trance

Quote Originally Posted by blissblogger View Post
    a different noom altogether

the impatient should go to the breakdown at 4 mins - what a riff
    at the breakdown it sounds like part of a continuum of dark unhinged fairground rave music, key tune being the last minute of Lord of the Null Lines

2. The Following User Says Thank You to baboon2004 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    nah. even tho mayday used to play it, no.
    it's a classic...

so is sound of the future the lighter but i have to turn off/skip in a jungle set whenever i hear it.

i can never get enough of babylon tho. drop it in every set its cool.

so a bunch things I would've put up have already been posted

Freedom of Expression and I'm So High are on my short list of trance classics

Weeping Waste, Mihon 3, Stella, etc on my somewhat longer list of 90s trance that is good

also a bunch of tracks previously unknown to me so thanks to all

still have a few for yall tho. this is right on the border of hard acid trance and full-on early Liberator style acid.

not only a banger, but accomplishes the seemingly impossible task of repurposing terrible Jim Morrison poetry into something good

7. The Following User Says Thank You to padraig (u.s.) For This Useful Post:

also, as far as I can tell Lunatic Asylum - Meltdown isn't anywhere on YT but that is another hard af trance classic

and a ton of proto-trance, roots of trance, trance before trance, whatever classics - by far the best/my favorite era of trance

best dark post-EBM proto-trance pan flute jam ever (there are some absolutely next level hilarious late 80s Italian "live performance" Atahualpa vids, btw)

just on the right side of ridiculous for me. this also definitely has a bit of a What Time Is Love vibe.

big personal fave. apparently a big early Goa classic.

New Zone - along with Boy Records, Exist Dance, early R+S - etc is a big roots of trance touchstone

speaking of Exist Dance (same guy who did Eden Transmission) - from when trance was actually trance-inducing psychedelic weirdo proper drug music

there was a parallel EBM/New Beatish/proto-trance scene in Valencia - Megabeat, Otto Records - that for whatever reason (language barrier?) has gone mostly unacknowledged

Torsten Fenslau obv a huge name in the early history of trance. he has a ton of classic tunes but this - w/Oliver Lieb of later Spicelab fame- is probably my favorite. hard af.

and finally this loose Kraftwerk reinterpretation

With some interesting horns, ahem.

All by Steve Cop and CJ Bolland on R&S. I suspect Steve Cop to be the better producer though. The later Bolland stuff (Camargue and especially Prophecy) was much less inspired.

ooh look, somebody at Pitchfork wrote a defense of trance a few weeks ago

https://pitchfork.com/features/artic...nse-of-trance/

i wonder why, now of all times - it's not particularly in the re-ascendance, i don't think. Is it?

actually i'm a bit surprised that trance still exists - but then again everything else from the 90s does - drum and bass, gabber, etc

i suppose it is also a flavour within the mush that is EDM's stadium rave fodder

having actually read the piece now

seems it is big in Eastern Europe, which makes a lot of sense

and then you have someone like Lorenzo Senni coming with an arty intellectual take on it

i like this quote from the piece:

“One of the main functions of trance music is to simulate a space,” says Heinrich Deisl, a music journalist and radio producer in Vienna. “In Germany, we call this fluchtpunkt, a space in nowhere that can be filled with all your ideas, projections, dreams, hopes, imaginations. It’s not connected to reality at all. A simulation.”

Fluchtpunkt is the glass-half-full redescription of the glass-half-empty concept freizeit knast or "leisure prison" (which I learned from Achim Szepanski of Mille Plateaux, although i suspect he got it from one of the Frankfurt School)