Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1990s hypes revisited - loose series installment 03 - "Illbient"

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    these 90s hypes threads are a bit of a drag because they make me realize how much time and money i wasted on some shit music! well, as has been discussed, i guess it was fun at the time but really finding it hard to even listen to some of these YT vids, i owned a few dj spooky albums but now the prospect of listening again makes me cringe.
    The fate of fashion. These threads are pretty much the sonic equivalent of looking at Rod Steward in leopard print.
    Last edited by m99188868; 08-06-2018 at 03:06 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to m99188868 For This Useful Post:

Leo

loss of innocence, life is cruel.

Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    in which nina simone samples and the riff from devo's "mongoloid" implausibly come together make for a billboard chart hit.

Literally all of these hypes have been awful, and I feel slightly righteous that I hated them at their peak too.

Edit: I guess I don't dislike 'Easy Listening' but had no interest in the 90s Revival beyond the fact that it opened up a lot of great old music, but it was layered with that horrible kitsch 90s irony which I hated then, rather than the stuff they were "reviving" in a most despicable way. Like, The Divine Comedy - I hated that group, but probably loved the records they were referencing...
    Last edited by craner; 08-06-2018 at 06:25 PM.

look what popped into my inbox this very morning - news of some more spooky shite - with a premiere at Francois Kevorkian's Deep Space club

"Deep Space is proud to welcome back DJ Spooky Wed. 6/13 along with François K. Spooky is giving us a preview of his new album which reinvents dancehall into a bass loving, anthemic, highly dance-worthy version of what he calls Phantom Dancehall. It's music that only the original Renaissance man of our Brooklyn electronic music scene could create."

the album is actually on VP Records would you believe, you would think they would have a filter for this kind of thing

VP Records http://www.vpreggae.com/dj-spooky-pr...-dancehall-lp/

Listen on SoundCloud https://m.soundcloud.com/Phantom-DanceHall

this was the illbient M/O - take something that was perfectly good in its own right (and weird in its own right) and then do a slightly wonky take on it

7. The Following User Says Thank You to blissblogger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by blissblogger View Post
    this was the illbient M/O - take something that was perfectly good in its own right (and weird in its own right) and then do a slightly wonky take on it
    I just had a listen, it is really embarrasingly bad. I don't feel the same about his debut album though. I have been re-listening to it this afternoon and it holds its own much better than I expected. Might be nostalgia colouring my perspective. Or maybe just the rare pleasure of re-listening to something I listened to intensively for months (compared to days, at best, now). Or maybe that I just liked triphop. Was this illbient ever a real thing beyond his liner notes? It sounds just like triphop to me.

The world’s waited TOO DAMN LONG for bass-loving dance-worthy dancehall!

these 90s hypes threads are a bit of a drag because they make me realize how much time and money i wasted on some shit music! well, as has been discussed, i guess it was fun at the time but really finding it hard to even listen to some of these YT vids, i owned a few dj spooky albums but now the prospect of listening again makes me cringe.

ps -- please don't extend this series to accommodate a "witch house revisited" thread.
    quite funny - the most horrible 90s hype for me always was RnB (missy elliot etc) - propaganda music for hyper-materialism/capitalism. The soundtrack to "celebrity culture" + "VIP Lounges"
    Last edited by firefinga; 08-06-2018 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blissblogger View Post
    look what popped into my inbox this very morning - news of some more spooky shite - with a premiere at Francois Kevorkian's Deep Space club

"Deep Space is proud to welcome back DJ Spooky Wed. 6/13 along with François K. Spooky is giving us a preview of his new album which reinvents dancehall into a bass loving, anthemic, highly dance-worthy version of what he calls Phantom Dancehall. It's music that only the original Renaissance man of our Brooklyn electronic music scene could create."

the album is actually on VP Records would you believe, you would think they would have a filter for this kind of thing

VP Records http://www.vpreggae.com/dj-spooky-pr...-dancehall-lp/

Listen on SoundCloud https://m.soundcloud.com/Phantom-DanceHall

Fucking hell, that's sacrilege, no other word for it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by firefinga View Post
    quite funny - the most horrible 90s hype for me always was RnB (missy elliot etc) - propaganda music for hyper-materialism/capitalism. The soundtrack to "celebrity culture" + "VIP Lounges"
    nah, Timbaland and the Neptunes were inventing the 21st century a couple of years ahead of time...and god bless them for that

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to baboon2004 For This Useful Post:

yeah what's wrong with wanting luxury i mean novara is fully automated luxury liberalism which obvs sucks, but the standppoint isn't wrong, within itself.

i always find it weird when people focus upon hip hop as if it invented materialism, as if our whole culture isn't in thrall to wealth and conspicuous consumption, taunting poor people with images of what they don't have

18. The Following User Says Thank You to baboon2004 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by firefinga View Post
    very euro opinion. reminds me how lucky were are in this country to have had mass post-war immigration from the west indies to save us from this kind of wrongheadedness.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    very euro opinion. reminds me how lucky were are in this country to have had mass post-war immigration from the west indies to save us from this kind of wrongheadedness.
    yes it surprises me.

i suppose anything *sexy* (even in an obviously oceanic sense) immediately draws fire from today's bohemians. it's like weirdo music has detached itself from the libido in renunciation.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Matthew For This Useful Post: