1990s hypes revisited - loose series installment 03 - "Illbient"

Numbers

this was the illbient M/O - take something that was perfectly good in its own right (and weird in its own right) and then do a slightly wonky take on it

I just had a listen, it is really embarrasingly bad. I don't feel the same about his debut album though. I have been re-listening to it this afternoon and it holds its own much better than I expected. Might be nostalgia colouring my perspective. Or maybe just the rare pleasure of re-listening to something I listened to intensively for months (compared to days, at best, now). Or maybe that I just liked triphop. Was this illbient ever a real thing beyond his liner notes? It sounds just like triphop to me.

firefinga

these 90s hypes threads are a bit of a drag because they make me realize how much time and money i wasted on some shit music! well, as has been discussed, i guess it was fun at the time but really finding it hard to even listen to some of these YT vids, i owned a few dj spooky albums but now the prospect of listening again makes me cringe.

ps -- please don't extend this series to accommodate a "witch house revisited" thread.

quite funny - the most horrible 90s hype for me always was RnB (missy elliot etc) - propaganda music for hyper-materialism/capitalism. The soundtrack to "celebrity culture" + "VIP Lounges"

Last edited:

droid

look what popped into my inbox this very morning - news of some more spooky shite - with a premiere at Francois Kevorkian's Deep Space club

"Deep Space is proud to welcome back DJ Spooky Wed. 6/13 along with François K. Spooky is giving us a preview of his new album which reinvents dancehall into a bass loving, anthemic, highly dance-worthy version of what he calls Phantom Dancehall. It's music that only the original Renaissance man of our Brooklyn electronic music scene could create."

the album is actually on VP Records would you believe, you would think they would have a filter for this kind of thing

VP Records http://www.vpreggae.com/dj-spooky-presents-phantom-dancehall-lp/

Listen on SoundCloud https://m.soundcloud.com/Phantom-DanceHall

this was the illbient M/O - take something that was perfectly good in its own right (and weird in its own right) and then do a slightly wonky take on it

Fucking hell, that's sacrilege, no other word for it.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
quite funny - the most horrible 90s hype for me always was RnB (missy elliot etc) - propaganda music for hyper-materialism/capitalism. The soundtrack to "celebrity culture" + "VIP Lounges"

nah, Timbaland and the Neptunes were inventing the 21st century a couple of years ahead of time...and god bless them for that

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
yeah what's wrong with wanting luxury i mean novara is fully automated luxury liberalism which obvs sucks, but the standppoint isn't wrong, within itself.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
i always find it weird when people focus upon hip hop as if it invented materialism, as if our whole culture isn't in thrall to wealth and conspicuous consumption, taunting poor people with images of what they don't have

luka

very euro opinion. reminds me how lucky were are in this country to have had mass post-war immigration from the west indies to save us from this kind of wrongheadedness.

Woebot

very euro opinion. reminds me how lucky were are in this country to have had mass post-war immigration from the west indies to save us from this kind of wrongheadedness.

yes it surprises me.

i suppose anything *sexy* (even in an obviously oceanic sense) immediately draws fire from today's bohemians. it's like weirdo music has detached itself from the libido in renunciation.