1990s hypes revisited - loose series installment 04 - "Lo-Fi"

firefinga

OK, this time it's some genre - if it's a distinct genre at all - I know almost nothing about - "Lo-Fi". People likethe Palace Brothers/Will Oldham. Nerd-ish people recording folk-rock songs in their bedrooms/toilets (well, it got a wikipedia-entry so I guess it's a genre after all). The only times I really heard this was on the John Peel Show tbh. It's a likeable stance I guess to record guitar music in your bedroom studios without adoubt. Back in the mid 90s I was a teenager and this stuff sounded like music for adults, which it definitely was/is. In other words it didn't interest me at all back then, I wasn't appalled by it, either though.

Last edited:

Leo

does this start with the first pavement records and stuff on the shrimper cassette label? "slay tracks" is still pretty great (one of my most valuable 7"s, $200 on discogs!), sounds like it was recorded with shitty one mic in a cardboard box studio but the hooks! before the whole slacker aesthetic ruined everything.

maybe they were to "rock", unlike palace.

Leo

dino jr=indie rawk; sebadoh=bedwetter music.

i actually like some sebadoh, but it's sentridoh that's the true lo-fi band.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Surely TV Personalities and other ramshackle post-punk bands prefigured all the 90s lo fi.

Sebadoh and Palace brilliant, lovely 90s time capsules, Pavement execrable and charmless.