Thread: 1990s hypes revisited - loose series installment 04 - "Lo-Fi"

Default 1990s hypes revisited - loose series installment 04 - "Lo-Fi"

OK, this time it's some genre - if it's a distinct genre at all - I know almost nothing about - "Lo-Fi". People likethe Palace Brothers/Will Oldham. Nerd-ish people recording folk-rock songs in their bedrooms/toilets (well, it got a wikipedia-entry so I guess it's a genre after all). The only times I really heard this was on the John Peel Show tbh. It's a likeable stance I guess to record guitar music in your bedroom studios without adoubt. Back in the mid 90s I was a teenager and this stuff sounded like music for adults, which it definitely was/is. In other words it didn't interest me at all back then, I wasn't appalled by it, either though.
    Last edited by firefinga; 08-06-2018 at 10:31 AM.

Horrible John Peel/Everett True Music.

does this start with the first pavement records and stuff on the shrimper cassette label? "slay tracks" is still pretty great (one of my most valuable 7"s, $200 on discogs!), sounds like it was recorded with shitty one mic in a cardboard box studio but the hooks! before the whole slacker aesthetic ruined everything.

maybe they were to "rock", unlike palace.

Sebadoh are better than Dinosaur Jr. getting that in now and quickly.

dino jr=indie rawk; sebadoh=bedwetter music.

i actually like some sebadoh, but it's sentridoh that's the true lo-fi band.

Sebadoh had nothing on this:

Surely TV Personalities and other ramshackle post-punk bands prefigured all the 90s lo fi.

Sebadoh and Palace brilliant, lovely 90s time capsules, Pavement execrable and charmless.