1990s Garage?

sufi

lala
1990s "Garage" was like a different genre from noughties garage, if i'm not wrong? almost actually a separate current?

My recollection, from London (though like Luka, I was "out of the country" for chunks of the 90s), was that mid 90's rave was dead, in the sense of it's earlier eclectic scene that melded "Dance Music" with free parties/Crustyism movement, by way of E's.
What there was was a scene where Big Beat was kind of the mainstream/background, popularised house, and a club/party scene that was beginning to split out and ossify into sub-cultures, many of which had perished by the millennium, and the coming of the nuum.

Like eden says, there were plenty of disconnected scenes to link up to, some are still seen as irredeemably cheesy, or just wrong
  • Trance was definitely the crypto-fascist "enemy" even then, and remains beyond the pale).
Apart from the likes of:
  • Blue note (frustratingly sterile and curated/touristic) et al
  • Home counties airfield hardcore raves - e.g. AWOL (MCs a bit on top of everyone by this time, which I reckon is what led directly to naughties "garage")
  • Heavy dub/ sound systems
the place to actually dance with djs who were getting proper fresh vinyl was the gay scene, and it was called "Garage".
A lot of diva licks, some pumping and hardness, a lot of crescendos, actual chemical transcendental psychedelia ... what's not to like?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinky_Gerlinky in the same weekend as Aba Shanti

Here's the guy who used to run the Fridge back then, after Soul2soul finished:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK0iO2SespTOdZXffQWb7uw check the Love Muscle DJ mixes if you dare??

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
i thought the garage scene in uk compared to its us equivalent was straight — hard house/nrg was the big gay scene in london no?

luka

freek and london underground were there early. so from i guess about '96? pre speed garage

luka

sufis timeline is a bit off but hes not substainially wrong. there was no noughties garage. the timeline was very compressed. garage garage-speed garage-2 step garage-pop garage-dark garage
all in the space of a few years. roughly 96-2001

luka

the thing is theres always been a house and garage scene here. it never died it never went away its just sometimes everyone else notices. like for example dj hermit. dj hermit was around from 200bc. doing house and garage bascially. always.

luka

or you can hear petchy talking about his house conversion. how he went to a house night and got blown away by the vibes. left grime straight away. and this was early. when grime had only just found its identity as a seperate scene. its always been there taking in refugees and looking after them