Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Movie Soundtracks Scores Songs

re: Herzog - I'm a fan, but he can be incredibly joyless and boring. I enjoyed Rescue Dawn, Encounters at the End of the World, Grizzly Man, Bad Lieutenant and others, but found Stroszek, Heart of Glass, Aguirre and Nosferatu pretty dull despite each having their moments.

all early John Carpenter obviously. boggles the mind a bit that he did the soundtracks himself basically to save $ and wound up creating an entire ouevre of beloved early minimal synth

some other very obvious choices for me - Blade Runner, Akira, etc

some less immediately obvious ones - this is probably my favorite bit of Philip Glass. great movie, also.

Platoon obv a much better movie but this is a better soundtrack. I've always thought someone should've sampled the beginning into a darkside jungle classic a la Ricky or Scottie.

another couple bits where I very well-known classical music is used really well, esp Das Rheingold in The New World

v much unsurprised by luka's reverse snobbery Herzog take

I'm an unabashed Herzog lover b/c ofc I am but I do agree w/version that he can be uneven

I think p much everything w/Kinski is great, esp Fitzcarraldo, but they're not for everyone

otoh Stroszek, Heart of Glass, yeah boring, and inscrutable in a bad way

this is kind of cheating b/c it's not the version in the movie, but still, full-on scorcher

Herzog & Luka are like Batman and the Joker.