Ripping music from iPhone to computer

Leo

I had the pleasure of having my laptop stolen today (swiped off a desk in a client office while I went to the loo!), and of course I hadn't backed up music for over a year and don't use iCloud. While music purchased from iTunes will be on my new laptop, I have a lot on my iPhone that's not on the old external hard drive.

Anyone have suggestions on a good way to rip music from iPhone to computer? It's technically not allowed, but I recall years ago downloading a software work around that made it possible to copy music files from phone to desktop, and then load into iTunes.

I'll google around but thought I'd ask, in case anyone had suggestions.

On the bright side, my new MacBook Pro is a lot faster than my pilfered five-year old one!

Thanks.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I've used imobie software before with success to get music onto an ipod without contending with the evils of itunes, so I reckon they'll have a tool to take tunes in the opposite direction

Leo

thanks, will check them out. the issue is it's not "illegal" to put music on an iPod/iphone without using iTunes, but it's blocked when you try to go the other way, from iPod/iphone to computer. apple doesn't allow it, as a way to prevent someone from just taking all the music from phones of all their friends.

Last edited:

droid

There's two free ones Ive used iextractmp3 and iexplorer. Id stay away from imobie because they refuse to uninstall.

Leo

Iexplorer looks like it would do the trick to transfer both songs and photos from my phone to new Mac, the same developer also has sharepod for music only. nice that they can supposedly transfer entire playlists, so I won't have to reconstruct them on my new Mac.

I also now remember using Senuti in the past, worked fine but their site hasn't been updated since 2013, so wonder whether their products have been improved in the past five years.

anyway, thanks for the suggestions, will probably give ixeplorer a go.