Marcus Garvey Centre, Nottingham

Rave FM was the soundtrack to my last year at school, usually while hooning around backlanes looking for parties in Notts and Leics. I remember those Marcus Garvey ads. There were also a couple of big raves like Fantazia at Donington in 1992

That happened 2 miles from home but i was in Corfu with my mates, it was just after our A-Levels.

The commercial radio station Trent FM had a rogue show on Saturday nights called 'Get on the good foot' presented by Mark Spivey that played bang up to date techno, house and hardcore for a couple of years too.

It was never obvious where all this weird, hyper new music was coming from. Could have been Chelmsford, Berlin or Jupiter. It wasn't seen as London thing.

There was also a test FM station playing nothing but field recordings of birdsong and audio test signals, rising and falling tones. It would have been test broadcasts for soon-to-be-launched Classic FM. That had its uses at 4am too.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I went there a lot when I was a student - could always buy pills easily from officially sanctioned dealers in the toilets who literally handed them out of big transparent plastic bags. It was - to my naive bug-eyes - a cathedral of narcotic excess. I once was sat against a wall near the back and - not being able to help myself - was sick onto the floor next to me. A Nottingham native and veteran of raves told me that there were bullet holes in the ceiling from when they would used to throw dancehall parties there.

God that was long ago now, where has the time gone :'(