Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: archetypal dyads

dont know enough about them. what 2 opposed poles do they represent?

Thor vs Loki/Othello vs Iago

Moral wisdom vs. Immoral guile
    Feeling vs. Cognition
    Frankness vs. Deceit

Dramatisation of social struggles but also the inward struggle of every human psyche

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

youve got a knack for this game. keep going!

Pete and Dud
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    Pete and Dud
    the game is not called name a more iconic duo. that's a different game.

have a look at what corpsey has done where he has traced out the opposing qualities each half of the dyad represents for him.

Yeah I get that, and I still think it applies. Not so much to music in their case, granted ('Voodoo Ray' notwithstanding).
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    Yeah I get that, and I still think it applies. Not so much to music in their case, granted ('Voodoo Ray' notwithstanding).
    yeah that's fine but you need to do the next bit. youve not finished, Arthur Job.

Someone did this with Barca vs Chelsea on the old Run of Play footy blog a few years ago - http://www.runofplay.com/2009/04/30/.../#comment-5352

... the tension here is between the tendencies towards life and death drives (Eros and Thanatos) which are highlighted by football.

I’d posit two states, states of creative play on the side of Eros, and on the other hand, the desire to preserve or return to an earlier state on the side of Thanatos. Barca’s power seems to be in their standing for the former when they are in a position of fame and importance which makes most clubs turn towards the latter. Chelsea are pure death drive manifested as sport: a paranoid machine who’s parts only care about restoring themselves to a time when they were considered the greatest in the world. Sometimes watching someone like Ballack play he looks trapped under the weight of his need to re-become ‘Ballack’, the proper name for the player who dragged along Germany and Munich single-handedly at times, of whom he is now only a simulacrum.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

Todd Edwards vs Burial

Joy vs Melancholy
    The voice as celebration Vs the voice as lament
    Dancefloor Vs headphones
    Religiosity Vs romanticism
    Child of God Vs Sadboy of Britain

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    yeah that's fine but you need to do the next bit. youve not finished, Arthur Job.
    Alright then:

Pete - intelligent, arrogant, probable one-time teacher's pet/bully-in-chief/bit of both, at times actually quite a nasty bully of Dud (more as Clive, really);
    Dud - the lackey, the foil, the beta friend constantly in awe of his superior companion whose approbation he seeks (verging on full-on victim at times, as Derek).

Elements of Don Quixote/Sancho Panza, perhaps.
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 15-06-2018 at 07:11 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Tea For This Useful Post:

Joey: the punk rocker's punk rocker.
    Johnny: the staunch Republican and patriot, a true rebel in a rebel's world.

Pete n Dud = Lennon and McCartney

Actually a lot of bands have a dyad, no matter how many other members they have - right?

Mick and Keef
    Morrissey and Marr
    Rotten and Vicious

Although not necessarily a study in contrasts. Just clearly that relationship is compelling to people in a way that a triad isn't.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

George Michael and the other bloke.