Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: archetypal dyads

I wasn't very clear in the previous message (hungover)- I should have specified that I was talking about simplifying and symbolising not being useful in relationships with other people.
    while i appreciate the points you're making and agree, in case it wasnt clear i was explaining how we do it to ourselves. i was referring to romantic relationships and friendships in particular. but of course we also project on to, to coin a phrase, archetypal dyads, in the public eye.

Eno/Bowie - The two apparently used to 'do' Pete and Dud riffs in between takes and Eno once described them as one being a 6H pencil while the the other was a 6B. hard lines v soft smudges. Clarity v drift. Sunshine v fog. The destination v the journey.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jenks For This Useful Post:

i often find i cant properly intergrate and make my own all the juicy stuff i've stolen from another person until i get some distance from them for instance.

Bernard Edwards & Nile Rodgers

Grounding vs Reaching
    Restraint vs Flordity
    Perception vs Immersion
    Realism vs Dreams

Nile can't make a mean song anymore. You wonder if that's because he wasn't the one who pointed out how things weren't always fun.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    i come back to coltrane/davis a lot and tend to view it as transcendence/immanence.

i think a lot about wiley/dizzee too. such different careers. one inwardly directed the other outwardly oriented. needless to say i relate to wiley.

do you form these dyads in your head too? got any examples?
    I think I've spent most of this thread framing such dyads in terms of their personalities rather than their artistic style -

do you think that Wiley's 'inward direction' can be discerned in the music he makes? in the intensity, circularity and compression of his loops and even his flow? or is it just a career thing - dizzee's 'outward' direction allowing him to make songs with Calvin Harris and James Corden? (The price of freedom lol)

Caught a bit of a documentary about 'graceland' on bbc4 the other night - there was an interesting bit about the south african band having a conversation with each other using their guitars.

i tend to think of music as quite abstract, even when it's emotional, but

i suppose i'm just thinking of how these dyads relate to personality and music/art - if they're mainly creations of the observers