CULT MUSIC

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
One of the loner folk big hitters, associated with a cult called the group/movement:

https://therapidian.org/second-coming-story-david-bixby-part-2
https://thegroup7.wordpress.com/

An ex of mine and her family were in movement, her father was supposed to be a big player. His day job was managing the maintenance of all the churches in the (iirc) North of France. Keeping the exact stone to replace fallen bricks, authentic paints for the walls, all that stuff. Interior and exterior. He had access to the keys to all the churches, so my ex said. Her mother was in the theatre. Proper fancy Parisians that I had no business being around, but the dad, Gérard, a huge chunk of a man, had this foreboding air about him. Strong, silent, intellectual. Couldn't help but command respect. I remember we'd been going out for maybe a month and I'm at her student digs in Bethnal Green. She has this 2 or so inch thick book on the bedside table, with a handmade non descript cover. Beautifully done, effort had been made to keep it's appearance low key. Tight, alternating stripes of muted maroon and gold, so fine that they blended together into a shiny, cardboard brown if you looked from a distance. She noticed I'd spotted it and when she thought I'd moved my focus elsewhere she tried to put some other things on top of it. I asked her what it was and with a little gentle probing managed to get it out of her that it was a book by Gurdjief and she was reading it as part of her studies in movement, which all her family had been members of for several generations. She told me a bit about who Gurdjief was and what they got up to every few months in big houses in the European countryside, and I was totally fascinated. It was only years later, reading about him on my own that I findout he was based in Paris and I can only assume her elder relatives probably knew him personally. Anyway, my 19yo mind was going crazy with all the possibilities this all posed and I asked her if there was any way I could join. Needless to say, Gérard said no, and that was that.