CULT MUSIC

john eden

male pale and stale
You'd never guess that Thursday was a drinking night for me, would you?

(This is basically Spacemen 3, mind.)

More pics:

lyman2.jpgmatza7.jpg

droid

that version of "people get ready" is really really cool.

there seems to be a huge online archive Lyman stuff here: https://www.trussel.com/f_mel.htm

Including a load of bits of his underground newspaper Avatar:
https://www.trussel.com/lyman/avatar/avatar.htm

This is quite neat as 30 years ago you had to send away huge amounts of cash to PO Boxes in the US to see poor photocopies of this stuff. (Which I think is how I got hold of some Process Church stuff eventually).

View attachment 637

Did you ever read Timothy Wyllie's process book?

sufi

lala
Last tune for tonight.

Two tracks, latter one starts at 4:42 = pure fire.🔥
Well pop-pickers it's time for us to switch over to http://www.sunuradiotv.com/baye-fall-fm/ for the night, so you all enjoy that shouting sufistic vibe while you burn midnight oil on this last night of ramadan and we'll be back at 8.30AM for ironing hour - our regular morning mix of opinion and hipster beats on dissensus channel (now part of disneycorp)
don't touch that dial

john eden

male pale and stale
Did you ever read Timothy Wyllie's process book?

Nah I read that hardback one with the pink cover by the academic and the Stephen Sennitt one that came out in the late 80s. Which were both great but

I lost interest in this stuff in the mid 90s... (that sounds really hipster, but it's true!).

I quite fancy seeing that film about them though.

john eden

male pale and stale
There's that fash neofolk guy in the states who was involved with the Minutemen (the right wing urban guerillas not the punk band) who was around the Process and does some no doubt awful music inspired by them too.

john eden

male pale and stale
lol, do you only like their earlier stuff?

Well no - I mean they were only really around in the 60s and 70s iirc. :p

It's more that I'm no longer interested in extreme or wacky beliefs per se.

There's a big thing I am trying to write about all this stuff, but one conclusion I've come to is that when I was in my 20s I thought that immersing myself in extreme stuff would give me huge insights into the human condition.

I now know that was bollocks - you would learn something if you walked around the outer fringes of a country, but I'm not sure that's the best way to find out about the people living in it.

On reflection it was more just finding out about weird stuff because I enjoyed it. And now I enjoy other things, and have better ways of finding out about the human condition...

droid

The phenomenon of the cult is useful because, although they may be outliers, there is cultish thinking everywhere in society (look at capitalism ffs) and I think insight can be gained, if only in terms of awareness of how that thinking might affect you personally.

After all, maybe the true cult has been inside us all along...

Last edited:

droid

Incidentally, I think you'd make a great cult leader John. Stern & patriarchal, but with a kindly benevolent aura that mollifies your struggles as you're chained to the sacrificial altar.

Luka is another obvious candidate, but he's more of a mystical desert hermit who gathers followers by accident and then leads them to disaster.

luka

they wouldnt fall into disaster if they just did everything i tell them to.
only themselves to blame imo.

luka

obviously i want people who think like me to talk to. whether they emerge spontaneously or if i have to beat it into their thick skulls, it's all the same to me!

blissblogger

Youre at Scientology ground zero - is there much visible presence in LA? They want to build a European megachurch here.

there's a couple of really big Scientology temples

the really huge one on Sunset - the main HQ - when we go past it, i always think about the fact they are supposed to operate their own prison somewhere in there. that's what the big and reputedly great expose book from a few years ago claimed anyway

there is also a surprisingly large number of Masonic temples here

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Last time I was in LA (only time I've been in LA as an adult actually) we were walking to Vermont/Sunset metro as the hapless Europeans without a car, and it was roughly outside that massive Scientology temple that we got accosted by the archetypal insane guy. Possibly a future scientologist, and completely off his head. Middle of the day, bright sunshine, traffic everywhere, yet when he started talking all the noise around seemed to evaporate - like the Mystery Man scene in Lost Highway, if the Mystery Man hadn't made any verbal sense, only hypnotic sense. It was bizarre and terrifying, managed to unlock ourselves thankfully after a few upsetting minutes....but then walking around LA in general l found utterly surreal. Unique place.

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
DannyL's mate Seth grew up in some weird UK Christian community and has just done a release featuring his noises and their spoken word cassettes:

It's pretty great and also has very odd version of The Who's "Substitute".

DannyL

Wild Horses
I still need to listen to this - will do so today.

Did the Elizabeth Clare Prophet stuff ever get mentioned in this thread?