Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Joseph Campbell

Dream of the Red Chamber mentioned in this article is one of the tiny handful of novels that is actually worth reading.

Doesn't have chapters, does it. Favorite bit? Oggling the girls on the beach.

P 449, "The summer evening had begun to fold the world in its mysterious embrace..."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to craner For This Useful Post:

It has to be Molly's Soliloquy surely?

Luka, did I mention that my psychedelic night walk I invited you too takes place at the location of the climax to Ulysses? Im actually heading up there tomorrow night to do a test frolic in Molly's Rhododendrons.

you do realise i may well actually turn up. i need to have a look at how much it would be likely to cost.

I wouldnt have asked otherwise!

The downside is I'll be unconscious for the rest of the weekend, so not great for general activities, and accommodation in Dublin is ridiculously expensive. I can see if there's any berths going anywhere though, for the night at least.

The upside is that it'll be an immense, life changing spiritual experience... unless it rains.

Just checking there. I reckon there's a couch or a bed, or a camping mattress available for the night itself.

do you not just stay up all night? i thought i might be able to get away without having to accomodate myself

Quote Originally Posted by craner View Post
    Doesn't have chapters, does it. Favorite bit? Oggling the girls on the beach.
    episodes. i will read this in approx 5 mintues

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    do you not just stay up all night? i thought i might be able to get away without having to accomodate myself
    Normally stay out till about 2-4, though we have been known to see the dawn. Then back to a gaf somewhere to decompose in some warmth. Usually crash sometime in the early morning.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

One of the more intriguing takes I've heard on FW is that it's an early form of hypertext.

coincidentally recommended this bloke to someone yesterday.

george lucas famously referred to him as "my yoda" in a lecture attended by campbell

the weird thing about campbell was that he had absolutely no personal experience of the kind of mythic/mystic he catalogues - didn't really understand his adoption by the weirdos.

at some point it's just about how you choose to conceptualise it and catergorise it.

like delezue and guattari or jh prynne insisting on materialism while at the same time
    drawing very detailed and original maps of the territory. or mark fisher for that matter.

or freud.

you can model it all as material process just as you can model culture as
    material process. active and reactive forces etc etc