Joseph Campbell

droid

I wouldnt have asked otherwise!

The downside is I'll be unconscious for the rest of the weekend, so not great for general activities, and accommodation in Dublin is ridiculously expensive. I can see if there's any berths going anywhere though, for the night at least.

The upside is that it'll be an immense, life changing spiritual experience... unless it rains.

droid

Just checking there. I reckon there's a couch or a bed, or a camping mattress available for the night itself.

luka

do you not just stay up all night? i thought i might be able to get away without having to accomodate myself

droid

do you not just stay up all night? i thought i might be able to get away without having to accomodate myself

Normally stay out till about 2-4, though we have been known to see the dawn. Then back to a gaf somewhere to decompose in some warmth. Usually crash sometime in the early morning.

Woebot

coincidentally recommended this bloke to someone yesterday.

george lucas famously referred to him as "my yoda" in a lecture attended by campbell

the weird thing about campbell was that he had absolutely no personal experience of the kind of mythic/mystic he catalogues - didn't really understand his adoption by the weirdos.

luka

at some point it's just about how you choose to conceptualise it and catergorise it.

like delezue and guattari or jh prynne insisting on materialism while at the same time
drawing very detailed and original maps of the territory. or mark fisher for that matter.

luka

or freud.

you can model it all as material process just as you can model culture as
material process. active and reactive forces etc etc

luka

no, not a typo. doing this kind of thing you have to be really cute about it.
for example i think a vision by yeats(!) is great. i think that huge book ted
hughes did on shakespeare is a sloppy ill conceived and unconvincing mess.
ie not cute enough.

are these good metaphors? do they fit. do they help. do they clarify.
etc etc etc do they seem to flip in and out of being metaphor at all
metaphor/literal/metaphor/literal

that sort of thing.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
cute

1. attractive, especially in a dainty way; pleasingly pretty:
a cute child; a cute little apartment.

2. appealing and delightful; charming:
What a cute toy!

3. affectedly or mincingly pretty or clever; precious:
The child has acquired some intolerably cute mannerisms.

You mean in the first way?

droid

Think its Hiberno-English actually. A 'cute hoor' is someone who pulls a fast one, is sly but gets away with it... nothing gets past him.