Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Great Germaine Greer Documentary

Quote Originally Posted by john eden View Post
    The likely sentence is nothing to do with the low conviction rate afaik?
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    what *she sees* as more realistic sentencing.
    ikr

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Matthew For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    i think in fairness to her - she was actually raped herself. AND i think her comments come from a place of not wishing to be psychologically defeated by men. ALSO the context of her argument is the fact that so many rape prosecutions never result in a conviction - her argument being let's make it easier for courts to pass judgement by packaging that with what *she sees* as more realistic sentencing.

it doesn't seem SO unreasonable.
    Yeah you're right - she says in that article (I think) that she was raped when she was 18. But lots of people have undergone horrendous things, and end up having positions on those things that are indefensible.

I can understand some of the logic of what leads up to her declarations, but the declarations themselves are bonkers. The comment about PTSD also is woeful for so many reasons.

I do think you're right that she wants not to be psychologically defeated by men. That can't be achieved by pretending that rape isn't a big deal, and leaves 'no injury'.
    Last edited by baboon2004; 18-06-2018 at 05:26 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to baboon2004 For This Useful Post:

I watched half the documentary yesterday and I liked it. I liked her for the most part. But it's difficult to go on liking her 2018 self that much when you know everything that she's said.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to baboon2004 For This Useful Post:

Most interesting take I've read on the rape comments so far is this twitter thread tbh.

https://twitter.com/umlolidunno/stat...540677120?s=19

Thanks Benny. I think that's interesting - expanding on the useful points GG made, without lapsing into needless controversialism

I used to like her 20 years ago when she was on Late Review with Tony Parsons, Tom Paulin, et al. She was always good for a few trenchant remarks. Nowadays it's as if she feels she has to be the great controversialist, so she's become rather a tedious parody of herself.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to subvert47 For This Useful Post: