Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great Germaine Greer Documentary

Default Great Germaine Greer Documentary

an absolute must-see

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b6q27f

i'm a big fan of GG. a brilliant fearless woman. great to see her talking about robert plant in the doc.

[wonder if she's taken the time to reflect on the androgynous pix of both her and plant w/regards to her recent - not *ENTIRELY* wrong - pronouncements on TG]

follow up - fab review of led zepellin live here by her

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...w-my-mind.html

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Matthew For This Useful Post:

It was great TV but inevitably hagiographic.

She has come out with some proper nonsense over the years amongst the good stuff. At times she resembles those old man controversialists you get in the Daily Mail or Spiked.

Still, I'd rather see a tonne more flawed documentaries about feminists than the usual BBC4 muso talking heads you get on a Friday night.

It was great just watching her in her everyday life being irascible and grumpy.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to john eden For This Useful Post:

I was glad to see the Colin Tudge book on her shelf, i wasn't sure whether she was or not

Bah, bbc iplayer doesn't work in Spain. Love her.

meh. feminism is for privileged white women and literature professors. we brown middle easterners have had no real stake in it outside of so-called intersectionalism. pass me the sick bucket.

we pretend to hate men even tho that doesnt apply to our boyfriends and heavens forbid you try and explain that a white woman has more power dynamics over a brown or black woman than a poc man

and sex class analysis is pseudoscience.

Conveniently they also turn a blind eye to disability cos you know it doesn't fit into their biological essentialism.
    Last edited by thirdform; 16-06-2018 at 11:41 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post:

thankfully most working class and immigrant people i know bare cuss out these radfems.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post:

A TV documentary on the Combahee River Collective would very cool.

This podcast the Jacobin did with Barbara and Karen Fields is great:
    https://www.blubrry.com/jacobin/2957...-karen-fields/

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to john eden For This Useful Post:

Closer to home some friends recently published this:

black women org jpg.jpg

Which is cool. My copy is due to go to the charity shop now but I can send it on to you if you like @thirdform

15. The Following User Says Thank You to john eden For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by john eden View Post
    A TV documentary on the Combahee River Collective would very cool.

This podcast the Jacobin did with Barbara and Karen Fields is great:
    https://www.blubrry.com/jacobin/2957...-karen-fields/
    Yes, and both of those are communists/class struggle centred, which the sex class rad fems are not. brb need to go out now will check that other thing later.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by john eden View Post
    It was great TV but inevitably hagiographic.
    hm not sure i agree with this. i thought she came out the other end of it hugely diminished. the editorial feel/tone was pretty negative.

those Jacobin podcasts look great, thanks for flagging that up John

Re Germaine Greer, definitely interested to watch the documentary. I know little about her, so unclear if she has changed over recent years, or whether a particular brand of controversialism has always been her modus operandi.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...-to-be-reduced This seems to me like Ken Livingstone levels of unthinking controversialism, coyly acknowledging that it might, y'know, upset some people. Juxtaposing some points that are very relevant - the inability of the present legal system to deal with allegations of rape, for example - with things like this:

She suggested that a fitting sentence for (rape) might be 200 hours’ community service and perhaps an “r” tattoo on the rapist’s hand, arm or cheek.

She questioned a statistic which said that 70% of rape victims had suffered post-traumatic stress disorder compared with 20% of conflict veterans. “What the hell are you saying? Something that leaves no sign, no injury, no nothing is more damaging to a woman than seeing your best friend blown up by an IED is to a veteran?”

The whole point of this seems only to be to get people talking about Germaine Greer and...shit, I've fallen for it.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to baboon2004 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    She questioned a statistic which said that 70% of rape victims had suffered post-traumatic stress disorder compared with 20% of conflict veterans. “What the hell are you saying? Something that leaves no sign, no injury, no nothing is more damaging to a woman than seeing your best friend blown up by an IED is to a veteran?”

The whole point of this seems only to be to get people talking about Germaine Greer and...shit, I've fallen for it.
    i think in fairness to her - she was actually raped herself. AND i think her comments come from a place of not wishing to be psychologically defeated by men. ALSO the context of her argument is the fact that so many rape prosecutions never result in a conviction - her argument being let's make it easier for courts to pass judgement by packaging that with what *she sees* as more realistic sentencing.

it doesn't seem SO unreasonable.

The likely sentence is nothing to do with the low conviction rate afaik?

Greer's comment on rape were indefensible, more worthy of a right wing provocateur than a feminist. Her position on trans rights are similar. I saw that documentary when it was on and couldn't help but think that her predilection for controversy has long since overridden the fierce intellectual brilliance and razor wit that formed her reputation.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to droid For This Useful Post: