Continuum-y Tech House...

Dr Venom

Wild Horses
I don't want to get in a continuum debate but my favourite house music for a while now has been the sort of UK centric tech house.

Interesting because acts like Mark One who is now in Solardo are leading the way and also a personal favourite is the stuff MANT are doing (one half of is DJ Wire).

The third part of it is I feel like it is heavily bass-orientated against much other house and to me the kick is not driving the groove in many of these tracks, it's the sub pattern.

Examples:

Anyone else got any tunes/artists I can listen to?

(also if this is being covered in another thread, let me know and delete this. )

continuum

smugpolice
You won't find any interest in new interesting music on here Dr Venom! It's all backwards looking now unfortunately..

Regardless, Abode Records crew are deffo ones to check within the tech house realm you mention: Rinse FM Podcast - ABODE with Jack Swift & Artikal 11th May 2018

Having expressed my dissent towards looking backwards, there are a quite a few rare oldskool garage records that get mixed with newer stuff by Jack Swift in the above show before Artikal steps up with a set of all fresh beats. Here though it's more about proving that continuum lineage as a source of inspiration I think rather than continuously reminiscing over what was.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'm notorious even to myself for getting these things wrong soooo... while these tunes are pretty banging, I don't hear anything particularly surprising in them - I can imagine hearing them on Pete Tong's show or whatever.

As I said though, I'm usually totally, embarrassingly wrong about this sort of thing and maybe I'll be looking back on this thread in 6 months wondering how I could have ever been such a cloth-eared cunt.

continuum

smugpolice
II don't hear anything particularly surprising in them

The surprising thing you need to listen out for is the continuum of hardcore music in the tunes. Until a while back never really heard before within the trad house scene. This sound has been around for a while now and sort of integrated itself within that trad house scene - Abode being the main proponent currently out in Ibiza with nights at Amnesia happening right now. It's much more subtle than previous continuum scenes.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I heard a few sounds from old jungle/hardcore tunes on there but it felt more like a bit of slightly unorthodox flavouring than anything too ''nuumy''. Of course, I was probably getting excited about that sort of flavouring when it was used in UK Funky.

It's a bit weird, though, that by this point using an old hardcore sound is a bit of retro signification, like using a disco bassline as a signal to the 70s - what are the new hardcore sounds? I suspect the dubstep/'brostep' wobble is one of the more recent ones (or at least a rave sound), and then there's the trap template stuff...

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
What would really excite me is if the structural templates of hardcore reappeared in house music - the freedom to switch on a dime from one section to the next, to interrupt the flow of things, etc. Jacking house had a bit of that going on - e.g. 'Coke Diet', which switched from an uptempo rap beat to a sort of grime meets bassline house beat.

continuum

smugpolice
What would really excite me is if the structural templates of hardcore reappeared in house music - the freedom to switch on a dime from one section to the next, to interrupt the flow of things, etc. Jacking house had a bit of that going on - e.g. 'Coke Diet', which switched from an uptempo rap beat to a sort of grime meets bassline house beat.

It's been done though hasn't it?

You're never going to recreate the sound of people with Atari STs and Akai samplers with 2 second sample memory again. They were working at an unknown frontier. Unless there is some huge technological development that eclipses humanity's digitalisation progress will only take its current form, not an old one.

blissblogger

It's much more subtle than previous continuum scenes.

"Subtle" was Mike Skinner's term for "boring". Like, "oh, yeah, subtle" - i.e. if that's what floats yer boat...

That set on Rinse, it could all have been made in 97, 98. That can't be right.

Funnily enough just the other night I was checking out Rinse FM online for the first time since it went legal. Can't be the only one who finds the interface (or whatever you'd call it) utterly sterile and dispiriting to use, surely? And then the sound comes through clean, thin, canned. Even the Uncle Dugs show, playing tip-top classic hardcore and jungle, was vibeless.
As for the Mark Radford show - living death.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
trad house is black US garage+dance mania+313 why do people think its ibiza thats a really weird angle of looking at it.

that balearic narrative is one of the worst myths.

Last edited:

continuum

smugpolice
"Subtle" was Mike Skinner's term for "boring". Like, "oh, yeah, subtle" - i.e. if that's what floats yer boat...

That set on Rinse, it could all have been made in 97, 98. That can't be right.

Funnily enough just the other night I was checking out Rinse FM online for the first time since it went legal. Can't be the only one who finds the interface (or whatever you'd call it) utterly sterile and dispiriting to use, surely? And then the sound comes through clean, thin, canned. Even the Uncle Dugs show, playing tip-top classic hardcore and jungle, was vibeless.
As for the Mark Radford show - living death.

If I'm honest I don't listen to too much Rinse FM, I follow their Soundcloud account where they also post all the show recordings to stream and just keep my eye out for the odd show here and there that looks interesting. If you want to download a show though you do have to go to their website which admittedly does seem to have got stuck somewhere around 2005 - you have to right click and save to get the download for example.

I think the thing is with a lot of rave based music is that you need to 'loosen up' before or during the music to fully appreciate it. A spliff and a few beers or some wine really gets you in the correct mood to appreciate it. As for subtlety, Mike Skinner is hardly the voice of today's generation plus there are other options if that does not float your boat, current Bassline being the obvious one to check.

continuum

smugpolice
trad house is black US garage+dance mania+313 why do people think its ibiza thats a really weird angle of looking at it.

that balearic narrative is one of the worst myths.

Keith Flint of the Prodigy and Richard Russel of XL Recordings have quite a good discussion around this area in the following video (skip to 4:25 although the whole interview is worth a watch):

continuum

smugpolice

Quite good interview with Datwun about Deep Tech in which he touches on how the wider tech house scene has robbed the more overtly continuum-y Deep Tech genre of many of its producers.

continuum

smugpolice
Tech House gets a mention:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en-gb"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">**Airhorn** <br><br>So much against my better judgement haha I've dipped back into writing. Why? Because there was a story around <a href="https://twitter.com/hugomassien?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@hugomassien</a>'s 12" & the genesis of deep tech that needed to be heard.<br><br>Here: <a href="https://t.co/XPbWoLvu3M">https://t.co/XPbWoLvu3M</a><br><br>He's playing tonight w/: <a href="https://twitter.com/DJmadamX?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@DJmadamX</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/TectonicPinch?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@TectonicPinch</a> <a href="https://t.co/7IKRXFkcRu">pic.twitter.com/7IKRXFkcRu</a></p>— Blackdown (@blackdownLDN) <a href="">23 November 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last edited: