Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast

Thread: Psychedelic drugs

Quote Originally Posted by pattycakes_ View Post
    Buddha said 'do nothing, life's too short.'
    Gotta say, that's not *exactly* what I got from reading Alan Watts.

Having said that, Buddhism is most certainly a fundamentally pessimistic mode of thought. "Life is suffering" is the first Noble Truth. Ligotti is good on this in 'The Conspiracy against the Human Race'.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

They may be related in cause and effect but there's a sharp delineation between philosophical pessimism and medically diagnosable depression.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    Gotta say, that's not *exactly* what I got from reading Alan Watts.
    I was paraphrasing. But Buddha and old alky pants Watts are two different things. He called himself a spiritual entertainer to avoid criticism. He cherry picked from a bunch of religions. Very cool guy and damn good speaker though.

Was under general anaesthetic a few hours ago so I may be a little more loose than normal. Will hopefully have worn off by sunrise

Anyone ever tried propofol or fentanyl?
    Last edited by pattycakes_; 26-06-2019 at 08:51 PM.
    Took a rest stop that wasn't on the schedule

Not me. I want to know when corpse is next going to take a megadose of acid. Also want to know what visual effects you lot get on these things. Where on the scale From mild distortion to a completely new unrecognisable reality.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Also want to know what visual effects you lot get on these things. Where on the scale From mild distortion to a completely new unrecognisable reality.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaden...theogenic_uses

It's the only stuff that's given me fully immersive 3-D closed-eye visuals.
    A complete virtual reality of pulsing, geometrical colour. I've had shimmering, sliding, Escher-esque mosaics on mushrooms, but this had depth.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

As a very English (trademark thirdform) person I'm not so into the visuals, in fact I often find myself wishing I could switch them on and off. I'm more interested in the effect on thinking and perception of the 'actual' world.

The visuals can be cool though.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

Yeah, they are fundamentally decorative, rather than integral to the psychic experience. Still pretty cool though.

I don't get visual. Woops told me the world turns into a rave flyer which sounds cool

Poor credulous Luka

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    I don't get visual. Woops told me the world turns into a rave flyer which sounds cool
    Yeah that sounds about right. I mean, it's hardly coincidental!

The closed-eye visuals from a strong dose of opium are fucking next level. Totally unlike those from psychedelics - very structured. Sometimes it's like flying at great speed across landscapes, all mountains and plains and vast lakes and rivers. Other times it reminds me of Lovecraft when he's ripping off Dunsany; wondrous marble cities with golden domes and spires and minarets all glinting in the sunset.

The couple of times I tried DXM I had surreal and subtly disturbing dream-visions, like an animated Magritte painting. Didn't like that stuff at all.
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 27-06-2019 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    They may be related in cause and effect but there's a sharp delineation between philosophical pessimism and medically diagnosable depression.
    Yeah.

And to say that Buddhism is pessimistic isn't entirely right, either. Pessimism towards the goals of the self, and their chances of bringing lasting happiness maybe. But I see a lot of joy and celebration when I look at Tibetan Buddhist art, for instance. Compassion is obviously a huge value therein as well and I don't think you can reconcile that with pessimism.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DannyL For This Useful Post:

I would say that buddhism/pessimism is an eyes wide open weltanschauung characterised (ideally) by clarity of thought & mind.

Depression is the opposite, an emotional and neurological condition characterised by an inability to think clearly and obtain an objective view of the world.

There are exceptions of course.

This is fucking brilliant lol

17. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

The closed-eye visuals from a strong dose of opium are fucking next level. Totally unlike those from psychedelics - very structured.
    This. Opium really is as real as dreams, very very different from psychedelics. Super super interesting drug.

It's weird, I remember mistersloane talking on here years ago about how DMT had been "everything [he'd] hoped LSD would be" before he'd tried LSD, or words to that effect - and then luka mocking me for talking about sausage casserole while coming down off DMT - but the experiences I've had just recently with acid have been among the most profound I've ever had, on drugs or off them, and they were by no means heroic doses, either. Whereas with DMT I got that 'whoosh' sensation and a sort of feeling of non-specific awe, and gorgeous visuals, but no emotional insights like I have with acid.

Perhaps it's to do with the duration, or maybe it's just different strokes for different folks.
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 29-07-2019 at 05:57 PM.