yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
i feel he's one of this self-learning bots so it's not even a bad thing i think to react on him and correct him.

Leo

Good news!

Cannabis protects against obesity!
Apparently by counteracting the toxic effect certain obesogenic vegetable oils have on the body's endocannabinoid system.
BMI of cannabis users is on average 2 points lower than non-users.
A surprising effect.

Paper here if you're interested
https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/10.1089/can.2018.0045

(gave it up years ago, personally)

positive effects countered by all the shit high people eat when they get the munchies.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
This is great. An interview with a brave/foolish man who saw the godawful Cats movie while tripping hard on mushrooms. Sounds nightmarish.

First things first: Why the hell did you do this?

As a masochistic connoisseur of bad cinema, I knew since the Cats trailer came out that I needed to see this hideous disaster, in a theater, and very high. I was visiting with family for the holidays so I didn't get to see it right away when everyone on Twitter was shrieking in horror about what they'd just experienced. So after New Year's, the full Cats experience became a priority. On Monday I have to dive heavily back into work and start a whole health kick, so this strange post-holiday week was pretty much my last chance, and I decided I was going to go all in. Instead of taking an edible as I'd planned, I remembered some mushrooms someone had given me a while back and felt like if there was any chance I was going to enjoy Cats on any level, it would be melting into a psychedelic trip – just get weirded out and giggle and maybe make it fun. I was very, very wrong.

I mean, did it not occur to you that Cats was terrifying enough on its own without that precarious layer of perspective-distortion? Had you watched a movie – any movie – on mushrooms before??

It did occur to me that it would be a nightmare on its own, but I really wanted to see how extreme it could be. It turned out to be a hellworld of anxiety. Their terrifying faces and their demonic eyes were right in my face, like it was 3D. I could feel their CGI fur scratching me. I realize now that I have never seen a movie on mushrooms before, and I'm not sure I ever will again.

Yeah, it's not something I recommend to anyone, regardless of the film's content. I once watched Spring Breakers on mushrooms – or, rather, I hid under a blanket while my friend watched Spring Breakers.

Okay, so before we get into the actual nightmare of what happened to you, walk me through the preparation. Tell me about the quantity of mushrooms you took and your game plan. Surely you knew there was a strong chance you wouldn't make it through this screening.

I was being very flippant about it, actually, because I'd tried the mushrooms before and they weren't particularly strong – just a nice giggly body high, no hallucinations other than tracers and vibrant colors. So I didn't think it would be too bad and I ate a bunch of them, more than I have of these before, just kinda stuffed a handful in my mouth without any sort of measure or rationale behind the dosage. That was... a mistake; but I didn't have time to experiment, I only got one shot at this. That was one hour before the start time of the movie. My very patient wife Steph didn't realize until she saw my Twitter that I was planning to take mushrooms. "Um, are you sure about this?" I was not, but I had become very committed to the idea and wasn't going to turn back now. Steph doesn't mess with hallucinogens so she was the perfect babysitter for me. I didn't think realistically I'd make it through the film, but I wasn't prepared for how hard it would be to get even as far as I did. We went for pre-movie drinks and that's when the effects started to kick in, and everything was very bright and three dimensional and moved like gelatin. With just a few minutes to go before we entered the theater, I was getting worried.

Uh-oh. Okay, so you have your sober buddy, the drugs are working, and the lights go down in the theater. Let's give the people what they came here for: What the fuck happened?

I should have tried to wait and go in after the trailers played, because they were already freaking me out. I was slinking down in my chair, my body melting, and suddenly they're playing the Sonic the Hedgehog trailer and I was losing it. In that state of mind, Sonic seemed like the most absurd thing in the entire world, and also the most stressful. Everything was so dumb and moving so fast, and the CGI fur was freaking me out, and I was getting freaked out on top of that because I realized I was in for two hours of colorful CGI fur, and it was already really weirding me out. They really know their audience because they played every Goddamn CGI furry animal trailer they could find. They played the Dolittle trailer and now there was fucking CGI fur EVERYWHERE and the animals were talking. Then they played the trailer for Call of the Wild and to my horror, it has a fucking CGI dog in it! Suddenly I became very concerned that maybe all movies now have CGI fur in them, and it was making me itchy. Why so many cartoon animals?? They seemed to be invading, surrounding me, moving in trails, LOOKING AT ME. By the time the trailers were over, I really had CGI talking animals in my mind, and forgot for a minute that what I was about to see was going to be much worse than that. So when the first cat appeared on the screen, I let out an audible shriek and started laughing. It was the most ridiculous thing I'd ever seen, I couldn't even process that it was really happening. There were maybe ten other people in the theater by the time the movie started (thankfully I got a seat on the very edge), and I tried to look around to see if they were losing their minds, and they weren't. They were just watching it like it was a normal film, and that made me paranoid, like I was an outsider, they were against me, or I was somehow seeing something different than what they were seeing. I thought anyone seeing the movie at this point would be doing so ironically, but they WEREN'T. They weren't laughing at all. After the first song, some of them CLAPPED! I was in a room full of CATS FANS, and I feared they would find out that I was an undercover agent in their bizarre cult.

I was squirming in my seat, tears rolling down my face, and I kept blurting out yelps of anxious laughter every time a new nightmare creature appeared on the screen. Steph gave me her scarf to breathe into and muffle my reactions (no one else was laughing at any of it!!), and that helped comfort me a bit, until Rebel Wilson's cat appeared and spread her horny cat legs wide open, exposing what felt like a Sarlacc Pit of CGI fur, like I was staring into the abyss. I yelled "FUCK!" and spilled my popcorn when that happened. Certainly this couldn't be real? It couldn't be happening. Why was no one reacting? Was I hallucinating all of it? Was it just a normal film and I was the one creating the dancing cockroaches and the mice children and then she ZIPPED HER SKIN OPEN, WHY DID SHE ZIP HER SKIN OPEN?? That scene was fairly early in the film, and it was devastating. I could feel myself slipping, the movie wasn't funny anymore, because its relentless pace and movement just kept throwing more weird CGI-haired monsters at me and it didn't seem to have any plot or destination, just a ceaseless assault of cat people. I wondered if it would ever end, and wasn't sure if it had ever begun, if maybe it was just a gibberish world of horny fur demons swinging and dancing and singing about their space cult or whatever the fuck was happening.

As the mushroom effects increased, the film grew uglier to me. Just hideous. It began to feel evil. Much has been made about how aesthetically disconcerting the whole affair is, but on mushrooms, every little grotesque detail was amplified into hyper-realization. They kept sticking their faces right into the camera, smiling at me with their white teeth and their devil eyes. Their faces were way too close to me, leaping out of the screen, like I was being assaulted. Their whiskers, oh God, their whiskers were making my face itchy. I was scratching my beard feeling like I had those disgusting whiskers too. I became very concerned with the way their human faces didn't seem properly attached to their heads, how the facial features seemed to move at different speeds, and I kept wondering if their faces were going to get left behind if they kept moving around so fast, and that was a frightening rabbit hole to go down. I was shifting around in my seat, glancing nervously at Steph and asking "Is this okay? Like, are we supposed to even be seeing this? This isn't okay, is it? Why is this okay?" My chest was heavy, and I needed it all to just stop. All the singing, all the dancing, all the CGI fur, all their goblin smiles, but it just kept going, still with no sign of a narrative to provide me an anchor of structural comfort. It just kept HAPPENING. So I had to take a break. I left, went into the bathroom, went into the stall to be alone, and just breathed. The quiet space and bright flat white fluorescent light comforted me, because nothing was moving, nothing was hairy, nothing was horny. After a few minutes, I was ready to try again.

Good god, you WENT BACK IN?! I have to assume things didn't get much better for you after that because you left early, right?

(continues)

https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2020/01/03/a-conversation-with-the-guy-who-took-mushrooms-and-saw-cats

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
This new years period was a return to my brasil experience where I'd had a moment of derailing but then got snapped back on almost instantly. This time with acid instead of shrooms. The timeframe was much shorter, less than a week from beginning of derailment to self correction. Not going to go into the gory details right now, but let's just say that psychs are still the best, and I won't be going anywhere near anything white for some time.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Also, totally unexpected side effect: long lasting, vivid dreams every night since the trip. Mostly very positive. Lots of hanging out with musicians from the past and trips through fantastic landscapes.

Maybe not that big of a deal on the surface, but I could probably count on both hands the amount of memorable dreams I've had in the last 5 years. The other day I kept letting myself fall back to sleep just to have another one.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
That's interesting. I have vivid dreams when I STOP smoking weed. I know why that is, scientifically, but I don't know why LSD would give you MORE vivid dreams.

I suppose it's just a sensory overload when you're tripping and your brain has a lot to make sense of.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I've built acid up so much now that I worry I'll never take it again.

I fear two things

1) the bad trip (natch)
2) the perfectly nice trip that doesn't stack up to my one-before-last, universe tilting trip

droid

Unifying Theories of Psychedelic Drug Effects

How do psychedelic drugs produce their characteristic range of acute effects in perception, emotion, cognition, and sense of self? How do these effects relate to the clinical efficacy of psychedelic-assisted therapies? Efforts to understand psychedelic phenomena date back more than a century in Western science. In this article I review theories of psychedelic drug effects and highlight key concepts which have endured over the last 125 years of psychedelic science. First, I describe the subjective phenomenology of acute psychedelic effects using the best available data. Next, I review late 19th-century and early 20th-century theories—model psychoses theory, filtration theory, and psychoanalytic theory—and highlight their shared features. I then briefly review recent findings on the neuropharmacology and neurophysiology of psychedelic drugs in humans. Finally, I describe recent theories of psychedelic drug effects which leverage 21st-century cognitive neuroscience frameworks—entropic brain theory, integrated information theory, and predictive processing—and point out key shared features that link back to earlier theories. I identify an abstract principle which cuts across many theories past and present: psychedelic drugs perturb universal brain processes that normally serve to constrain neural systems central to perception, emotion, cognition, and sense of self. I conclude that making an explicit effort to investigate the principles and mechanisms of psychedelic drug effects is a uniquely powerful way to iteratively develop and test unifying theories of brain function.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fphar.2018.00172/full

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
That's interesting. I have vivid dreams when I STOP smoking weed. I know why that is, scientifically, but I don't know why LSD would give you MORE vivid dreams.

I suppose it's just a sensory overload when you're tripping and your brain has a lot to make sense of.

Cant remember when I last smoked. Maybe Xmas. But you'd have thought the dreams would have come by now if it was just the weed. This is more like the flicking of a switch to open the floodgates. That's why I think the acid did it. But who knows. It was literally the first proper sleep after the trip when it started, and every sleep since then has contained at least one elaborate dream. I have to admit that I took a couple of naps when I got home from work this eve to see what would happen! Lo and behold. More dreams!

I've built acid up so much now that I worry I'll never take it again.

I fear two things

1) the bad trip (natch)
2) the perfectly nice trip that doesn't stack up to my one-before-last, universe tilting trip

Well, I'd say this last trip was close to what I think our resident hardcore mfer third would describe as a horror trip. It was inside a club on Friday morning (the only one still open after nye), on a secluded high platform, but still totally connected to a big room which was in a long ambient chill out phase. Some dark electronics played. Didn't recognise any of it, but it was all fantastic and perfect for the moment. Several negative events happened over the next few hours including the one guy I'd met in there thus far purposely trying to make things uncomfortable and also ripping me off, which should have sent me spiralling, but I just let it all go and laughed at him. There was also a Christmas Carol-esque trip through my conscience with something like a satanic choir made up of all the clubbers singing, shrieking and laughing from every direction in the darkest and most brutally honest way possible. Real or not, it didn't matter. This was probably the most 'constructive' part. I think the key was, without it being an effort, not letting fear enter, and knowing that whatever happened was to be, temporary, and not worth holding on to. Just let it wash over and pass no matter the intensity. It was like walking underwater, at night, near the surface, several strong currents all at once but keeping a straight line. So many forces pushing and pulling, but allowing them to do their thing. After maybe 3, 4, or 5 (fuck knows) hours, it was time to get back to the action. Stayed another day or so, met some people, had some chats, but most importantly danced my fucken ass off..

Saturday night, surrounded by techno vikings and ogres, totally immune at this point. The scarier they looked, and there were some proper naaaasty looking fuckers in there, the funnier they were. Menacing giants all on k and meth. Shaved heads and taught, teutonic faces. Malevolence and menace in their huge glaring eyes. Pneumatic jerks and sinewy shuffles.. when the beat dropped, they expanded to double size and grinned like their brains had crystallised. The music had gone up a couple hundred gears in intensity and I was feeling it. Mentally, emotionally and energetically I was on. But, a guy I'd met there and had been hanging with after the trip came to me in a bad state. Could barely talk, eyes like lazers, all tense and totally out. So I decided to make sure he made it home safe. I slept maybe 10 hours at his place and then went back to mine. For a while I couldn't sleep and my body clock was all fucked, so I decided to watch a film. Had a bunch to watch but nothing grabbed me, until I moused over Fight club.

And god damn was that exactly the film I needed to see right there and then. First time in over 10 years. The scene with the lye on the hand was like a giant wink and everything made perfect sense. It hadn't crossed my mind to watch any film at all, and yet here I was watching the exact thing I needed to see. Weird how shit works like that.

And yeah, ever since then, these dreams.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Missing so many details and events, but I think the big take away from it all is that I don't think bad trips are inherently bad as long as you're ready to reckon with them. Maybe it's just what you need. But it takes some letting go. So while I'm with you, corpse, in wanting to sniff at the garden of Eden and suckle like a hummingbird on her delicious nectar, sometimes you have to go to the other side to really appreciate her bounty.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I have been waiting for the warm weather, too. Cos I loved doing it outside so much that I haven't wanted to do it inside. But maybe there's an upside to doing that?

I have been waiting for the warm weather, too. Cos I loved doing it outside so much that I haven't wanted to do it inside. But maybe there's an upside to doing that?

You can shape your environment, and your bedroom or kitchen can become strange and hilarious.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it! I'm still on a microdosing tip, psilocybin now, slightly softer and shorter duration