Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
yes but this always struck me as a self-serving position to some degree. they work against addiction so are threatening to anyone invested in that addiction.
http://realitystudio.org/criticism/notes-on-burroughs/

I'm not saying I agree with him or anything, just that it's an interesting POV.

And he spent a long time trying to get off heroin, even going so far as to (briefly) join the Church of Scientology for this purpose.

luka

yeah, like a lot of addicts he cycled off and on.

i should mention that drugs made me less nice. i was too nice. i needed to learn to assert myself. become less conflict averse. more of a cunt basically.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Lol, luka the erstwhile Mr Nice.

It's a very common idea among stoner/tripper circles that there would be no more war, racism or whatever if only everyone (or perhaps if members of all global elites) just did some acid/mushrooms/DMT. Which, to me, immediately suggests as a counterexample the religious ceremonies of the Aztecs.

And, as well all know:

Edit: also, the idea that taking psychedelics is invariably a humbling or ego-taming experience is surely blown out of the water by a certain former contributor to this very forum!

Last edited:
it makes it a difficult issue to discuss without hysteria on the one hand and starry-eyed evangelising
on the other.

Definitely, but less so in recent years. I think the cautious scientific approach from the like of Robin Carhart harris is a working middle way between these two poles, even if that restraint feels unexciting at times, it's necessary. things are starting to change with the weight of research.

I hate the sanctimonious crusty woo woo and self-appointed enlightenment as much as a complete dismissal, probably because i recognise bits of that uncritical evangelism in my younger self.

some things remain the same though, the design standard still very shit overall. people taking the impossible beauty of a DMT experience and spectacularly failing to to it justice on their drumming circle flyers.

droid

When I was younger I thought everyone should try LSD at least once.... less so these days.

I do however wonder what would happen if the water supply of a major city was spiked. Presumably the only people who could save the day would be the psychonauts. You could have a crusty government by teatime.

Woebot

When I was younger I thought everyone should try LSD at least once.... less so these days.

I do however wonder what would happen if the water supply of a major city was spiked. Presumably the only people who could save the day would be the psychonauts. You could have a crusty government by teatime.

apparently the water-supply thing is impossible. there was a bunch of FBI/CIA research on it. not saying I conclusively understand this from personal scientific research obv.

Woebot

but i certainly do appreciate that you were profoundly damaged by these substances and feel you have yet to recover from your exposure and that consequently this thread is distressing for you.

:) very sweet of you to say.

your point stands they're not for everyone. certainly not for those without a healthy ego foundation (though paradoxically it's those without a healthy ego who seem to gravitate to them - what used to be called the "hippy modality")

i don't believe i was "damaged" by psychedelics - i never took enough for that to be possible.

i have however met some psychedelic voyagers (and, respectfully, i wouldn't count you amongst their number). they are like spaceships tethered to this planet by the flimsiest of threads. the old people who didn't take that route *exclusively* are like redwood trees.

luka

writing saved me from being like that
id already been doing very dedicated work internally
for 4, almost 5 years before i ever took them.
that was key for me to be able to navigate.... meant i knew where i
was and what was happening...

luka

the drugs are pointless without something like writing cos you will just have two selves
disconnected from one another and from reality... needs to be a bridge
so you are on the outside what you are on the inside.

its why im evangelical about writing. much more so than about drugs.

Woebot

i suppose if one's really after a silver bullet for one's brain - then, in the absence of an actual revolver and some silver bullets, LSD would do the trick!

on reflection this is too strong - if not entirely wrong - then certainly partially wrong

i do think there is a TOO MUCH trendy enthusiasm about psychedelics at the moment. the pollan book is a case in point. i have a copy but not waded through it yet. but written by a privileged, rich, psychologically rounded, well-educated, emotionally-stable white dude - it's very similar to how the LSD message was propagated in the sixties by an "elite". but by the time it reached "real" people the cracks started to show.

actually i feel duty bound to put the other side of the story across because - as much as i see the value in even the worst trips - at the end of the day i also think it's better to get there (or pointing in the right direction) by other methods.

my one cent.

Woebot

the drugs are pointless without something like writing cos you will just have two selves
disconnected from one another and from reality... needs to be a bridge
so you are on the outside what you are on the inside.

its why im evangelical about writing. much more so than about drugs.

love you brother :love:

luka

on reflection this is too strong - if not entirely wrong - then certainly partially wrong

i do think there is a TOO MUCH trendy enthusiasm about psychedelics at the moment. the pollan book is a case in point. i have a copy but not waded through it yet. but written by a privileged, rich, psychologically rounded, well-educated, emotionally-stable white dude - it's very similar to how the LSD message was propagated in the sixties by an "elite". but by the time it reached "real" people the cracks started to show.

actually i feel duty bound to put the other side of the story across because - as much as i see the value in even the worst trips - at the end of the day i also think it's better to get there (or pointing in the right direction) by other methods.

my one cent.

i agree with this. i wouldnt touch the pollan book (or anything like it) with a bargepole. i think its disgusting. same with silicon valley microdosers. none of it is remotely serious enough.

and I love you too Matt!
your project obviously keeps butting up against these substances cos a lot of the energy came
from the initial shock of the psychedelic experience and trying to intergrate it

version

there's certainly a macho element to it in the same way as insisting on the literalism of actually climbing to the top of a very tall mountain is macho, or crossing a desert or polar waste.

This reminds me of that Baudrillard thing about the "weakness" of proving to yourself that you exist.

“…sense of futility that comes from doing anything merely to prove to yourself that you can do it: having a child, climbing a mountain, making some sexual conquest, committing suicide.
The marathon is a form of demonstrative suicide, suicide as advertising: it is running to show you are capable of getting every last drop of energy out of yourself, to prove it… to prove what? That you are capable of finishing. Graffiti carry the same message. They simply say: I’m so-and-so and I exist! They are free publicity for existence.
Do we continually have to prove to ourselves that we exist? A strange sign of weakness, harbinger of a new fanaticism for a faceless performance, endlessly self-evident.”

luka

it seems to be just a thing you do as a pretext to writing a book now. like inviting a navy SEAL to live with you for a month or walking round Ireland with a fridge.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
it seems to be just a thing you do as a pretext to writing a book now. like inviting a navy SEAL to live with you for a month or walking round Ireland with a fridge.

I'd definitely publish your book about living with a navy SEAL for a month to join you in taking psychedelic drugs

Actually I'd also like to see you position yourself as a wyrd Brit Rogan.