isthmus of Europe Minor to wielderfight his penisolate war: nor
had topsawyer's rocks by the stream Oconee exaggerated themselse
to Laurens County's gorgios while they went doublin their mumper
all the time: nor avoice from afire bellowsed mishe mishe to
tauftauf thuartpeatrick: not yet, though venissoon after, had a
kidscad buttended a bland old isaac: not yet, though all's fair in
vanessy, were sosie sesthers wroth with twone nathandjoe. Rot a
peck of pa's malt had Jhem or Shen brewed by arclight and rory
end to the regginbrow was to be seen ringsome on the aquaface.
The fall (bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonner-
ronntuonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoordenenthur-
nuk!) of a once wallstrait oldparr is retaled early in bed and later
on life down through all christian minstrelsy. The great fall of the
offwall entailed at such short notice the pftjschute of Finnegan,
erse solid man, that the humptyhillhead of humself prumptly sends
an unquiring one well to the west in quest of his tumptytumtoes:
and their upturnpikepointandplace is at the knock out in the park
where oranges have been laid to rust upon the green since dev-
linsfirst loved livvy.

Reactions: sus

luka

let's move on to Dissensus Phase 2. The Mindfold.

http://groupnameforgrapejuice.blogspot.com/2012/10/bake-and-wake-1.html
This involves a new paradigm of language, one discovered in the Wake. Beyond Ferdinand Saussure's view of language, taken up by the structuralists and the post-structuralists, as being a synchronic network of difference is his disconcerting discovery of hidden anagramic layers of meaning throughout Latin and other poetry. From this, he reluctantly realized that the emergence of unintentional meaning might well up and be present within all texts. This is ALP. This is what is beyond the post-modern.

Last edited:

jenks

thread death
I have the summer holidays coming up and was thinking of getting a copy of FW - I re-read Ulysses a couple of years ago and then the Ellman biog and I really should have pushed on with FW then. I'll give it a bash - I'm sure I've read tougher stuff...maybe:eek:

luka

I have the summer holidays coming up and was thinking of getting a copy of FW - I re-read Ulysses a couple of years ago and then the Ellman biog and I really should have pushed on with FW then. I'll give it a bash - I'm sure I've read tougher stuff...maybe:eek:

it's only tough if you try and understand it... which i don't really recommend
if you're not neurotic about it it's mostly very funny

luka

http://groupnameforgrapejuice.blogspot.com/2012/10/bake-and-wake-2.html

As Marshall McLuhan said:

LSD is the lazy man's Finnegans Wake.

The language of the dream is opened up through the psychedelic experience, but it has already been written down in the Wake. In a very real sense the text is 2012. If 2012, according to McKenna, represents a moment of maximal novelty, a point where and when all possible information is contained at once, a return to the Eternal Now of the archaic dreamtime, then the Wake is definitely this in book form.

Philip K. Dick also had the idea of the Wake being a channel of ever-present "cosmic consciousness." In The Divine Invasion he writes,

Someday I'm going to get my article published; I'm going to prove that Finnegans Wake is an information pool based on computer memory systems that didn't exist until centuries after James Joyce's era; that Joyce was plugged into a cosmic consciousness from which he derived the inspiration for his entire corpus of work. I'll be famous forever.

• Wow

droid

Here's the 1982 RTE dramatisation of Ulysses. Pretty much the only one worth listening to.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The copy I'm reading calls itself the 'corrected version'. What does the uncorrected version look like, and how could you tell? Did he accidentally write an early version that had made basic syntactic sense and had a conventional narrative?

I'm imagining Joyce furiously writing to his publisher after receiving a copy of the first edition: "You imbeciles! Didn't you spot the misspelling of 'bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronntuonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoordenenth' on the very first page?!"

version

The copy I'm reading calls itself the 'corrected version'. What does the uncorrected version look like, and how could you tell? Did he accidentally write an early version that had made basic syntactic sense and had a conventional narrative?

I'm imagining Joyce furiously writing to his publisher after receiving a copy of the first edition: "You imbeciles! Didn't you spot the misspelling of 'bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronntuonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoordenenth' on the very first page?!"

Joyce's stuff is notorious for misprints, bootleg versions and so on. Scholars argue over spelling mistakes, punctuation and all sorts in both the original and 'corrected' texts so it's just some academic's take on how it should be presented. I doubt anyone outside that world would be able to tell the difference without someone pointing it out. People argue over stuff like where the full stops should be in certain sentences in Ulysses.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
People argue over stuff like where the full stops should be in certain sentences in Ulysses.

Joyce's biographer, Richard Ellmann, writes about this here: https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nytimes.com/books/00/01/09/specials/joyce-ideal.html

It appears that the famous telegram from Simon Dedalus to Stephen did not read when delivered to him in Paris, ''Mother dying come home father,'' but ''Nother dying come home father.'' Hence it was, as Stephen recalls, a ''curiosity to show.'' The typesetters could not believe their eyes in this instance, nor in another when the black horn fan held by the ''whoremistress'' Bella Cohen asks, ''Have you forgotten me?'' and is answered, ''Nes. Yo.'' They changed it to ''Yes. No.''

• Love

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Joyce might have been richly satisfied by all this academic debate

If I gave it all up immediately, I'd lose my immortality. I've put in so many enigmas and puzzles that it will keep the professors busy for centuries arguing over what I meant, and that's the only way of insuring one's immortality.
Joyce's reply for a request for a plan of Ulysses, as quoted in James Joyce (1959) by Richard Ellmann

luka

Lukkedoerendunandurraskewdylooshoofermoyportertooryzooysphalnabortansporthaokansakroidverjkapakkapuk

• Haha