Thread: Youtube's weird Algorithm and Machine Learning

Default Youtube's weird Algorithm and Machine Learning

I find it all a bit sinister. This happened the other day 2CZ9Wr.gif Not reflective of my listening habits... was I somehow identified as white and then given these suggestions, was it purely algorithmic? Whatever it is its very weird. Heard a lot of people complain about getting this track constantly recommended to them

..often in automatically generated playlists which have no connection or similarity to the song. Is it just some feedback loop or is there some secret manipulation going on to give people a leg-up. I'm sure people like Jordan Peterson owe a huge amount of his success not only to youtube but the nature of its algorithm. You watch one video and instantly your front page is filled with JP videos and videos about his videos.

Then there's this.. https://medium.com/@jamesbridle/some...t-c39c471271d2.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following User Says Thank You to muser For This Useful Post:

We are all slowly being hacked in increasingly effective ways, and seemingly the potential for malicious manipulation is very real.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to muser For This Useful Post:

that medium article was copied off a much much better vigilant citizen article
    https://vigilantcitizen.com/moviesan...os-on-youtube/

Oh yes nice thanks luka, kind of separate issue but still its very strange and disturbing. I can recognize one of the channels linked in the article as being made where I live in Vietnam and its mind boggling why anyone would want to do this. Its common for people to leave their kids in front of youtube unsupervised here also.

I doubt there's any secret desire on the part of google to give any particular content a leg-up, but the algorithms their recommendation systems are using are based on correlation and little else.

I think your probably right and certain videos just get caught in a feedback loop. It is odd how that example I gave crops up in so many totally unrelated algorithmically generated playlists where everything else is in the list are quite closely related in time, genre etc. This is another I've noticed on mine and others YT playlists/ recommended sidebars

I dont really think there's any big conspiracy here but seeing the algorithm whitewashing grime is interesting though. why?

peggy gou's vid popping up like that smacks of big budget PR.

Quote Originally Posted by pattycakes_ View Post
    peggy gou's vid popping up like that smacks of big budget PR.
    Probably. It's the norm these days, everyone's buying followers and whatnot.

I got fed this by YT some months ago:

At first I thought it was an algorithmic glitch or outlier. Then I discovered it has been re-issued recently. Not sure what causality is involved here (re-issue caused by algorithmic popularity or vice versa), but it quite something. Thing is: I quite like the song. That's the worst of it all.

Quote Originally Posted by m99188868 View Post
    Thing is: I quite like the song. That's the worst of it all.
    Nothing quite like the feeling of getting sussed by an algo.

in the future, culture will be dominated by statistical AI that generate content "aucausally", by aggregating and examining correlations in their users' behaviour. media will consist of averages of your interests and history - minimising a loss function in a Facebook NN somewhere but producing an uncanny valley effect such in that it kinda looks interesting from a list of possible choices and almost could be, but on deeper inspection is totally and nightmarishly meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by vimothy View Post
    I doubt there's any secret desire on the part of google to give any particular content a leg-up, but the algorithms their recommendation systems are using are based on correlation and little else.

dont be a mug

we had a little conversation about this earlier about midori takada.