Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Body therapies

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    tbh this is everything and all roads lead to rome.
    I suppose so but what I find interesting is all this started with a movement discipline and only later mapped out in this way. Alexander didn't intend this, it was something he uncovered.

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    which links in with so many disciplines/ideas - mentalisation, practised through mindfulness, as the way to prevent one's emotional automatisms from escaping unbidden; the idea with yoga that you're tolerating -often mild - physical discomfort for long periods, and that this can have knock-on effects in terms of being able to tolerate the psychological discomfort of not following one's usual patterns of response....
    Absolutely yeah.

Alexander people talk a lot about "analysing conditions present" and the corollary of that is that you are trying to work with these, not "conditions past". Psychoanalytical processes like projection and transferences would be "conditions past". My teacher has reported some amusing/deeply weird side-effects from using inhibition - he says that often when he teaches a daylong workshop, when he breaks for lunch everyone just sits there - 'cos they've been practicing inhibiting responses all morning. If you make it a more global response, "leaving it on like broadband" so to speak it can get quite odd. He reported that when working in his previous job, he'd sometimes finish work and feel like the day hadn't happened. He could remember seeing clients, writing case studies, etc but he'd taken his reactivity out of it. He had the same energy level as when he'd begun the day and felt as if in some way it hadn't occurred. This implies that a "normal day" is our reaction to it, and that when you're not bound by that, your experience changes. It allows room for more appropriate (less past-bound) and more creative responses. Alexander writes somewhere about his work appealing to the student's "latent powers of originality" and this is what he was getting at, I think.

I've had a parallel experience connected to my physicality. On a movement plane level, your habitual "doing of yourself" is often referred to as an interference, and a lesson might get rid of/reduce your level of interferences. After an hour long session, I once had the experience of feeling my back didn't exist! What had happened was that it'd become better aligned so all the normal nerve feedback that make up "my experience of my back" had diminished loads. Very odd. I recall walking to the pub and just feeling that that whole area of my body just wasn't there. There's an account in Missy Vinyeard's book "How You Stand, How You Move, How You Live" where that happened to her global sense of embodiment after working with Wlifred Barlow (a famous AT teacher). It just .... went away for a few weeks. Intriguing stuff.

So interesting. I'm reading about Gestalt at the moment, and it very much posits itself as a present-centred discipline in contrast to the past-focus of trad psychodynamic therapies. What had escaped my attention previously was that Reich was one of Fritz Perls' ([co-]founder of Gestalt) analysts. Which now makes a lot of sense.

Opening up the space for choice, and opening up the range of choices that seem possible - otherwise you're only half-living.

When your back disappeared, how long did it take for your normal proprioception to return? And were you able to replicate the [lack of] sensation outside of the session (cos there seems to be a debate in Alexander Technique, which I think you mentioned upthread, about whether it is better to have sessions or 'do it yourself')?

Me and Luka discussed Perls on Facebook 'cos I think we were both shown the same video - Perls with Gloria, the women who was also analysed in a taped session with Rogers, and went on to be lifelong friends with him. IIRC Luka described Perls as a "horrible beady eyed cunt". What's your impression of what you're reading? I really like the "Gestalt Therapy" book by Perls and Goodman (and someone else?) 'cos it has load of interesting exercises in that one could try on your own though I've never worked through it systematically.

I still have residual effects with that back thing the next day though not much longer. I can't bring on that sort of experience on my own, no, but it's an aspiration. Alexander taught himself after all, but it took him a long time - people who've looked at his biography estimate it took him12-14 years to develop the technique IIRC. My teacher seems to self-generate a lot of that kind of stuff as a side effect of working with others, the feedback they give him as he works on them opens him up in turn.

i love gestalt but yes perls is sinister. bartys daddy is a gestalt practioner btw.
    as ive mentioned here b4 there is a direct line of descent that goes
    freud-reich-perls-nlp

I read something in a therapy book recently with a guy describing his encounters with therapists after their initial training - he was mentioning some kinda follow up training IIRC - but he described people who'd been trained by Perls as "tiresomely manipulative". He was writing from a relational perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
    Me and Luka discussed Perls on Facebook 'cos I think we were both shown the same video - Perls with Gloria, the women who was also analysed in a taped session with Rogers, and went on to be lifelong friends with him. IIRC Luka described Perls as a "horrible beady eyed cunt". What's your impression of what you're reading? I really like the "Gestalt Therapy" book by Perls and Goodman (and someone else?) 'cos it has load of interesting exercises in that one could try on your own though I've never worked through it systematically.

I still have residual effects with that back thing the next day though not much longer. I can't bring on that sort of experience on my own, no, but it's an aspiration. Alexander taught himself after all, but it took him a long time - people who've looked at his biography estimate it took him12-14 years to develop the technique IIRC. My teacher seems to self-generate a lot of that kind of stuff as a side effect of working with others, the feedback they give him as he works on them opens him up in turn.
    Oh, I think Perls looks like a total maniac, as do most famous psychoanalyst types. But I also think he came up with some very interesting ideas (as did Laura). He just should have been stopped from being a therapist.

The book I'm reading is a general one about Gestalt, by Petruska Clarkson. I think it's really good, full of great insight and clear ideas. She committed suicide in 2006 - https://petruskaclarkson.blogspot.com/ - which....well, makes me think lots of contradictory things. I don't know what I think about it, actually, except sadness.

Interesting about your teacher's experience - the healer gets healed too. Which I suppose is a part of the motivation for 95% of people who go into therapy training, whether it's in consciousness at the time or not.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to baboon2004 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    bartys daddy is a gestalt practioner btw.
    Calling the Sadman to thread in that case...

Quote Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
    Do you mean the crossover between Reich's 7 armour segments and the 7 chakras? That's something a fair few people mention - doesn't totally work for me for various reasons.

Will try and expand on the above and reply to Baboon etc. in a bit - cooking for the fam.
    no that isn't it.

i think my email to you must have gone into the spam bin danny. too many trigger/spam words no doubt!

muktananda the guru goes on about "the blue light" too y'see. so perhaps reich's experience of the orgone could be seen as *subjective* advanced spiritual gubbins rather than (as you described reich's approach to us) "plumbing"

No, I did get it, I remember now. I'll re-read and reply, sorry. Just got swept away with life.

The plumbing I kinda meant as a hydraulics metaphor - the energy is very literally and real for Reich and it's all "blockages" and "flows".

this is a little bit from a poem of mine i done 4 years ago

In the Room of Cosmic Plumbing,
    Recalibration is in Progress.
    The Recirculation of Cosmic Slop/pissing in the amitotic fluid.
    ‘Ok, just tuning you in now.’ Mild mannered technician turns dial, frequencies replace one another on a CONTINUUM OF INTENSITY.
    Delectable fluid warmth, flow into and out of, release.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post: