Body therapies

luka

i agree. it's what people missed about modernism. thick cunts cant interpret things past the level of style. thick as you like. no idea what the project was.
only see the colours and the shapes.

ive often been tempted to buy one of those pyramids though. they look cool.

luka

sorry. i havent been in high minded mode for a long time. i'll say something intelligent and engaged soon i promise

luka

i got fed up with the levels of discourse and switched off
(not just here, everywhere)

DannyL

Wild Horses
Don't we all :)

Grandiose projects are where it's at. I remember being struck while reading Reich and Neill's letters at how they saw changing the world - as a a duty, definitely different from the defeatist attitude we have now. What's changed in our culture to close up that sense of the possible like that? Perhaps there's an implicit defeatism in post-modernism?

You should build an orgone acculmulator if you have the space. Will be my first project if I ever end up in a big enough house. Shame I suck at carpentry.

luka

this is part of what i was railing about on the big beat thread.
there is a rhythm of engagement and disillusionment.
people dream and people burn out. you go so far, then falter and fall.
it's a continual process of forgetting and remembering, on an
individual level and on a cultural level.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
A few thoughts:

Re what you said about bad moods as physical contractions rather than external environment changes, Danny, that makes total sense to me - makes me think of how object relations might explain the same phenonmenon, as internal readjustments/expansion of the bad objects and increased difficulty in making contact with the good objects, again in preference to any external changes. Which also fits with the way one - or at least I - experience life, and why moods can be baffling if you approach solely from an external perspective.

Yoga classes often feel humiliating, as they're frequently given by hectoring narcissists dedicated to alternately buffeting and destroying egos - feels like a re-run of sports at school. But I had a few individual yoga lessons with a good teacher once, and it totally transformed the way I feel about it. It was approached in a more holistic way.

Sweeping ideas and broad intellectual/emotional vistas are definitely where it's at. The world needs more visionaries who can create links between ideas and between whole disciplines, not a surfeit of blinkered thinkers happy to be stuck in silos. eg In my contact with academia, it always alarmed me how academics very skilled in one area could have such a sub-par (often laughable) understanding of other disciplines - politics experts without any sense of personal psychology, for example, which inevitably made it impossible for them to really understand politics.

Which makes me think of:
"in communist society, where nobody has one exclusive sphere of activity but each can become accomplished in any branch he wishes, society regulates the general production and thus makes it possible for me to do one thing today and another tomorrow, to hunt in the morning, fish in the afternoon, rear cattle in the evening, criticise after dinner, just as I have a mind, without ever becoming hunter, fisherman, herdsman or critic.” Sounds good.

luka

as you tune in you become more aware of things which arent working properly
your eyes arent fully open, they sting, there are tight bands about the top half of the chest preventing full in breaths, a constriction in the throat, sinus blockages meaning the ears and nasal passage are constricted....

or whatever it might be. the whole point is to get the vehicle working properly so you can receive and transmit a pure signal. a polluted vehicle is no good to them. make yourself useful.

clarity is the new condition for contact. derangement of the senses is over.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Anxiety is the flagship emotion of the age, permeates everything. As you say, it prevents you from seeing and hearing properly, or even breathing fully. It's amazing to me, how, the more tuned in I am to other people, the more I see anxiety is an epidemic - suddenly I start seeing the signs in huge swathes of the population. Those little tell tale signs, overbusy flittering eyes, or nervous tics, or protective false selves suddenly becoming visible like clunky ill-fitting suits of armour.

Woebot

Yoga classes often feel humiliating, as they're frequently given by hectoring narcissists dedicated to alternately buffeting and destroying egos - feels like a re-run of sports at school. But I had a few individual yoga lessons with a good teacher once, and it totally transformed the way I feel about it. It was approached in a more holistic way.

yoga genius whose class i recently attended said that the best yoga practitioner - the master effectively - is the person who feels the best while doing the asanas. that nails it IMHO.

[clarification - ie not the guy who can wrap his leg round his neck and then under his armpit]

DannyL

Wild Horses
Sorry to revive thread with a charity request but it 's for a good cause. Hopefully the film will be of interest to people as well. I've not seen it yet, but I might try and organise a London screening. Jim Strick, dude who wrote the letter below, wrote Wilhelm Reich: Biologist which is amazing.e

The PayPal link is here: http://www.wilhelmreichtrust.org/become_friend.html

Dear Reich Trust Community:

I write having just returned from the 33 rd Summer Conference at Orgonon to share some exciting
developments about work happening to preserve Reich’s important legacy.
Twenty-five participants from four countries and
several states gathered to discuss Reich’s seminal
work on the evolution of his research, The Function of
the Orgasm. One of the week’s highlights was the
screening of the new documentary, Love, Work and
Knowledge: The Life and Trials of Wilhelm Reich. For
three nights, Rangeley’s Lakeside Theater was nearly
sold out, with townspeople, conference-goers and
Trust supporters in attendance. Post-screening Q&A
panels featured experts from the film, including
Reich’s granddaughter Renata Reich Moise.
I also write to you as the newly-elected President of the Board of Directors of the Reich Trust, a
position I am humbled and honored to have. The entire Board has recommitted to act decisively to
preserve Reich’s legacy, including re-establishing a Development Committee, which is already
working on fundraising campaigns. While the need for financial support is still great, we are
planning strategic steps to take which, over time, we believe will improve the Trust’s fiscal health.
We will provide more details once plans have been finalized.
Reich’s legacy was built with a community of his supporters; it will be preserved in the same
way. Will you be part of that community and commit to becoming a monthly donor?
While any giving amount is welcome, imagine what your $10 a month can do:
 Revive the Chester M. Raphael Scholarship to support student attendance at the summer
conference.
 Support publication of Volume 7 of Orgonomic
Functionalism, the only journal that publishes
previously unpublished manuscripts from the
Reich archives. This volume has been on hold,
but your monthly donation can make its
publication a reality.
 Make possible needed repairs to the Reich
Museum, the stunning, nearly-70-year-old building on the National Registry of Historic
Places: https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/NRIS/98001602.

Like many of the Reich community, I have a decades-long interest in Reich’s research, writing and
work to reduce human suffering and make the world a better place. I believe that his contributions
are needed now more than ever. I hope you will join the Board and me in ensuring that they
continue to be understood and valued by future generations by committing to be a sustaining
member of the Reich Trust. And please forward this to your friends and family to help grow our
community.
Thank you for your support. Together, it will be done.
With deep gratitude,

Dr. James Strick
President, The Wilhelm Reich Infant Trust Board of Directors

Last edited:

DannyL

Wild Horses
I've never been Rolfed sadly, but I'd be up for it. I did do a 2 day holotropic breathing workshop which was interesting for how durational - 2 x 4 hours, once as recipient, the other time as a kind of guide for the person receiving but I didn't get that much out of it, sadly.

[

QUOTE=luka;354525]as you tune in you become more aware of things which arent working properly
your eyes arent fully open, they sting, there are tight bands about the top half of the chest preventing full in breaths, a constriction in the throat, sinus blockages meaning the ears and nasal passage are constricted....

or whatever it might be. the whole point is to get the vehicle working properly so you can receive and transmit a pure signal. a polluted vehicle is no good to them. make yourself useful.

clarity is the new condition for contact. derangement of the senses is over.[/QUOTE]

Been doing a few deep breaths every day when I get up, and just checking out the depth of my breathing, how loose it is, where I feel tight or constrained, and then doing some work on my eye as in the shower. Seems to pay dividends as I've felt generally more expanded each day, no sustained bad moods.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Don't we all :)

Grandiose projects are where it's at. I remember being struck while reading Reich and Neill's letters at how they saw changing the world - as a a duty, definitely different from the defeatist attitude we have now. What's changed in our culture to close up that sense of the possible like that? Perhaps there's an implicit defeatism in post-modernism?

Words to live by. Need to check these letters out. It's funny innit, the only people who end up trying are the crackpots. While all the healthy ones stand by and watch, or doubt. Well conditioned.

are all people inherently schizophrenic? i was listening to the radio last night and a doctor was claiming this. i actually never thought about it that way, to approach it as a spectrum rather than a binary question.

https://www.bmj.com/content/352/bmj.i375

It's almost as if the field of psychology is a crock of shit and a tool for making us afraid of our natural states.

Can be helpful, but it's probably very distorted how necessary it is. I mean, check this:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/374863/

https://news.stanford.edu/2014/07/16/voices-culture-luhrmann-071614/

.. In some cultures, schizophrenics hear voices saying positive things to them.

Last edited:

droid

Ive seen schizophrenia and psychosis at first hand. They are not natural states.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Ive seen schizophrenia and psychosis at first hand. They are not natural states.
basically agree, but I think "natural" is the wrong to frame it

it's more about whether or not a thing impairs your ability to function in the world, and do things you want to do

for example, I have bipolar, and I don't take medication - tried it, hated it - but mine is manageable with discipline, willpower, and knowledge gleaned from prior (painful) experience

however I've known people who had no choice but to medicate, because the euphoric side was so severe

schizophrenia + psychosis tend to impair people's ability to function in the world quite often

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
in general anti-psychiatry (and perhaps psychology) is one of those things I want to have more sympathy for than I actually do (see also, albeit less seriously: jazz)

there are undoubtedly some good ideas in there propounded by intelligent people with good intentions

but there's also a fair bit of crackpot nonsense. and I don't like the idea of ever making anyone feel bad about seeking a particular course of treatment that's best for them.

tbf, I don't think everyone holds those particular views, but at the same time they're undeniably strains present in anti-psychiatric thought, and it's sometimes hard to separate out the good from the bad

I do respect those idealistic notions patty mentioned above of people like Reich + Laing even I don't necessarily agree with their praxis

and there's undoubtedly much to be criticized about psychiatry, the influence of the pharmaceutical industry, etc

but ya two wrongs don't make a right kinda thing

DannyL

Wild Horses
https://vimeo.com/ondemand/wr1897?f...VGAlFcRag7nov94hLjaSGW4VguVMTPTc_DCsMg0i_kb7g

The link above is to an online stream of a recent documentary about Reich, Love, Work & Knowledge. It's sympathetic to Reich - it's basically from a Reichian pov and explains his work on his own terms, which I personally find really refreshing. Having said that, this is a complete self-contained worldview that contains a couple of ontological outrages from the viewpoint of "normal" science and everyday thinking.

I'd count myself as a "believer" but I do wonder how this stuff will play with others who might not have had the experiential encounters with his work I've had that give this stuff validity to me. But if you want the full story, here it is, from the horse's mouth. It's pay on demand atm, but they're trying to find a permanent home for it.