Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Body therapies

Quote Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
    Don't we all

Grandiose projects are where it's at. I remember being struck while reading Reich and Neill's letters at how they saw changing the world - as a a duty, definitely different from the defeatist attitude we have now. What's changed in our culture to close up that sense of the possible like that? Perhaps there's an implicit defeatism in post-modernism?
    Words to live by. Need to check these letters out. It's funny innit, the only people who end up trying are the crackpots. While all the healthy ones stand by and watch, or doubt. Well conditioned.

Quote Originally Posted by yyaldrin View Post
    are all people inherently schizophrenic? i was listening to the radio last night and a doctor was claiming this. i actually never thought about it that way, to approach it as a spectrum rather than a binary question.

https://www.bmj.com/content/352/bmj.i375

It's almost as if the field of psychology is a crock of shit and a tool for making us afraid of our natural states.

Can be helpful, but it's probably very distorted how necessary it is. I mean, check this:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...rticle/374863/

https://news.stanford.edu/2014/07/16...hrmann-071614/

.. In some cultures, schizophrenics hear voices saying positive things to them.
    Last edited by pattycakes_; 01-08-2019 at 11:40 AM.
    Took a rest stop that wasn't on the schedule

Ive seen schizophrenia and psychosis at first hand. They are not natural states.

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    Ive seen schizophrenia and psychosis at first hand. They are not natural states.
    basically agree, but I think "natural" is the wrong to frame it

it's more about whether or not a thing impairs your ability to function in the world, and do things you want to do

for example, I have bipolar, and I don't take medication - tried it, hated it - but mine is manageable with discipline, willpower, and knowledge gleaned from prior (painful) experience

however I've known people who had no choice but to medicate, because the euphoric side was so severe

schizophrenia + psychosis tend to impair people's ability to function in the world quite often

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to padraig (u.s.) For This Useful Post:

in general anti-psychiatry (and perhaps psychology) is one of those things I want to have more sympathy for than I actually do (see also, albeit less seriously: jazz)

there are undoubtedly some good ideas in there propounded by intelligent people with good intentions

but there's also a fair bit of crackpot nonsense. and I don't like the idea of ever making anyone feel bad about seeking a particular course of treatment that's best for them.

tbf, I don't think everyone holds those particular views, but at the same time they're undeniably strains present in anti-psychiatric thought, and it's sometimes hard to separate out the good from the bad

I do respect those idealistic notions patty mentioned above of people like Reich + Laing even I don't necessarily agree with their praxis

and there's undoubtedly much to be criticized about psychiatry, the influence of the pharmaceutical industry, etc

but ya two wrongs don't make a right kinda thing

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/wr1897?fb...c_DCsMg0i_kb7g

The link above is to an online stream of a recent documentary about Reich, Love, Work & Knowledge. It's sympathetic to Reich - it's basically from a Reichian pov and explains his work on his own terms, which I personally find really refreshing. Having said that, this is a complete self-contained worldview that contains a couple of ontological outrages from the viewpoint of "normal" science and everyday thinking.

I'd count myself as a "believer" but I do wonder how this stuff will play with others who might not have had the experiential encounters with his work I've had that give this stuff validity to me. But if you want the full story, here it is, from the horse's mouth. It's pay on demand atm, but they're trying to find a permanent home for it.