The Best Rockumentaries

Woebot

a family member has got into music and wants to watch documentaries about cool music

and it struck me that while there are good fiction films (spinal tap, the harder they come, rockers, quadrophenia, a hard day's night, performance etc) there aren't many bonafide classic (especially period) documentaries about rock

not thinking (or googling) deeply i came up with

dylan - don't look back...
the great "britannia" series (folk etc)
sympathy for the devil (though i never saw it...)
julian temple's strummer doc was alright

woodstock i always dismissed as a bit shit
the last waltz seems like it must be really boring

SUGGESTIONS PLEASE

luka

theres another thread about this. i suggested music is the weapon about fela kuti

Woebot

aw fanks gents

‘The Filth and the Fury’ (2000)
‘The Kids Are Alright’ (1979)
‘The Decline of Western Civilization’ (1981)
‘Stop Making Sense’ (1984)
‘Gimme Shelter’ (1970)

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
'Supersonic'

some people's idea of hell but for me

liam and noel dropping f bombs for two hours and shitting on damon albarn

craner

Beast of Burden
Somebody recently made a documentary about the, uh, famous New Wave of New Wave bands S*M*A*S*H and These Animal Men. Haven't seen it, but it sounds a hoot.

I recommend the Spandua Ballet documentary 'Soul Boys of the Western World', it is hilarious.

craner

Beast of Burden
I can hear Simon Price there saying, "a year later everyone was dressing like that."

Yeah those bands were a dreadful cog in the chain that ended in Blur vs Oasis. Destroyed the British musical 90s.

craner

Beast of Burden
In retrospect, and it didn't feel like that at the time I guess, not that I gave a shit, this lot with guitars were no better than the rump shoegazers.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Scott Walker - 30th Century Man I enjoyed thoroughly, but strictly for fans only I think

There have been a few great music docs on BBC recently that I found randomly looking for sth to watch on iplayer (following from Nomos's Krautrock rec) - one about Jazzie B and Soul II Soul that I thought was brilliantly executed and passed the acid test - engrossing for those who only have a passing interest in the subject