golden age of electronica

woops

is not like other people
aka stuff that was coming out when i got into it, around 98 til 2002. ish

woops

is not like other people
via listening to tortoise on thrill jockey to oval, mouse on mars and stuff

Tracks like this

Lot of craftsmanship, filligree and deep richness. That's what I was after in between the jungle, at the time, when i was young.

Cool, Imma play that with the top down, chrome spinnin along the seafront tonight.

Last edited:

woops

is not like other people
nice 1 hmg

i can't define elctronica but the stuff i was listening to was off to one side of idm. that's the best way i can put it.

nomos

Administrator
pole - taxi (6:35)

microstoria - endless summer namm

I sold all of this stuff to buy grime. Would like to have both.

droid

Ive got days of this stuff taped from our old pirate radio show. Must get back to sorting through it.

nomos

Administrator
Did the New Electronica label shut down because the word 'Electronica' was co-opted to sell dance music that sounded like guitars in the States?

https://www.discogs.com/label/875-New-Electronica

elec12cd1.jpg

droid

Dunno if Id make that distinction, or how useful that distinction is.

For me, electronica is roughly 93-98, first & second wave of UK London techno/WARP offshoots which still had some tenuous relationship with dancefloor/chill out scenes.

IDM is 97/98 on and typifies a more avant/experimental tendency, especially with rhythm & timbre, which quickly turned to pastiche crunchy/glitchy drum sounds ala Richard Devine, Push Button Objects & Funkstorung.

This is arbitrary and there's a ton of crossover and grey areas. Kinda like the nebulous Jungle>>Drum & bass problem.

droid

Meh. Punk, Rock, Hip-Hop - all labels that have been utterly debased over the years, yet the core meaning remains and is mostly understood.