Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Jacob Rees-Mogg

I mean, late Republican Roman politics were an endless cesspool of rich dudes manipulating poor people and then fucking them over regularly.

the Athenians were so wary of it they coined the term demagogue.

tbf, sometimes the manipulators are to varying degree on the masses' side, but usually not, esp in this day + age.

to bring it back full-circle I bet Rees-Mogg would've fit right in with the stuffy aristo Optimates of the Roman Senate

Quote Originally Posted by padraig (u.s.) View Post
    to bring it back full-circle I bet Rees-Mogg would've fit right in with the stuffy aristo Optimates of the Roman Senate
    Nah they'd probably have found him depressingly old-fashioned.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    if you feel no anger towards your oppressor and in fact protect them, then you're at one end of that scale (societal Stockholm Syndrome).
    For reasons I can't fully explain, I'm a member of several tag groups on Facebook that are mostly constituted by Americans, and fuck me but the most extreme Stockholm Syndrome I've ever seen is in right-wing Americans when it comes to healthcare. I mean, I'm talking about the kind of person who would post this, unironically and approvingly:

randpaul.jpg

And then, when I point out that I live in a country with socialized health care and no, our doctors and nurses are obviously not slaves, will react by posting a Daily Mail article that they obviously googled two seconds earlier about some fuck-up in an NHS hospital. Never mind that the USA has among the worst, and certainly the most expensive, health care in the developed world and is routinely out-performed in WHO rankings by some developing countries. And never mind that, where the NHS does fail, it's largely due to being deliberately mismanaged and under-funded by a government that wants to abolish it and replace it with an American-style for-profit system.

This person's line was that socialized health care was, in some ill-defined way, "selfish". I asked what that made hospitals that charge patients hundreds of dollars for the use of saline bags that cost literally a dollar apiece, and was given the answer that they are "forced" to charge that much by "government red tape".

I mean, this is a person who is presumably able to feed, wash and dress themselves, is permitted to use sharp tools and naked flames, and perhaps even drive a car and do a paid job. But I just cannot process that level of self-delusion. By what mechanism does this occur? It's bizarre.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    But I just cannot process that level of self-delusion. By what mechanism does this occur? It's bizarre.
    Ideology is irrational and powerful. It is not grounded in knowledge.

the shells are traps. you can use them but you have to be cautious.
    if you learn to turn sideways you can move between them.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    in theory the whole point of the left is to fight for the losers, the oppressed and the exploited.
    to use weight of numbers to push back against wealth, power and influence lol
    finn awaking again is the horizontal becoming self-aware and united. to push in a single direction and thereby topple the obelisk. obel1l.jpg

https://twitter.com/talkRADIO/status...25276509855747

Ian Bone vs JRM - "Lots of people hate your Daddy"

Bone's gonna Bone.

Apparently Mogg brought his kids and nanny outside to see the protestors and their "We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live" banner.

I mean fair play to him for not cowering inside but getting your kids involved seems a bit dodgy to me.

It is hilarious watching various loons on twitter trying to link Corbyn with Class War though - and the huffy denials.

Quote Originally Posted by john eden View Post
    It is hilarious watching various loons on twitter trying to link Corbyn with Class War though
    Sounds a bit of a stretch - isn't CW quite critical of STWC and therefore (presumably) of Corbyn?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    Sounds a bit of a stretch - isn't CW quite critical of STWC and therefore (presumably) of Corbyn?
    Well on the one hand Class War have produced several huge banners calling Corbyn a wanker.

But on the other hand Ian Bone once attended a wedding that Corbyn was also at, and has been pictured with Corbyn's weird brother.

So it's impossible to say, really. Unless you ignore CW's entire history from 1983 rejecting parliamentary politics.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to john eden For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by john eden View Post
    Well on the one hand Class War have produced several huge banners calling Corbyn a wanker.

But on the other hand Ian Bone once attended a wedding that Corbyn was also at, and has been pictured with Corbyn's weird brother.
    Haha! OK, "quite critical" then.