Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: QUESTION/DO YOU BELEIVE IN FALSE CONSCIOUSNESS?

Oil execs too. Anyone who profits from the misery of people and the destruction of the biosphere. Bullet in the head.

they made those choises. the 'machinery' didnt force them to do it.

I kinda think the concept of false consciousness is a bit out of date. I'm thinking of all the work on cognitive biases done by people like Dan Kahneman (Thinking Fast & Slow). Amazing to think we've had anything approaching a consensual politics at all after reading this - his book shows pretty clearly that biases are pretty deeply inbuilt.

Jon Haidt's The Righteous Mind is another interesting take.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    classic cop answer.
    Christ, are you not bored of this by now?
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

As much as I admire the optimism being displayed by the armchair Gramscis here, can I ask what provisions you imagine putting in place to ensure that your revolution doesn't end in tyranny and unimaginable amounts of death? Ta.
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 24-07-2018 at 11:40 AM.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Free Mars bars

7. The Following User Says Thank You to pattycakes_ For This Useful Post:

I believe in compulsory MRI scans to identify the psychopaths amongst us. Once identified, they are forced to wear red contact lenses and devil horns.

Quote Originally Posted by john eden View Post
    I think it’s clear that people believe things or act in ways which are against their interests and those of wider society.

The problems start with what is to be done about that. Liberals and Leninists both seem to favour a top down “educating the thick proles” model.
    Well Lenin got his marxism from kautsky so on this issue i think he is to blame. But then there's veering to the other end where anti-intellectualism is exalted or whatever. education should be a collective affair and plenty of proles have been educated communists/anarchists/whatever.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    As much as I admire the optimism being displayed by the armchair Gramscis here, can I ask what provisions you imagine putting in place to ensure that your revolution doesn't end in tyranny and unimaginable amounts of death? Ta.
    Gramsci was stalin's hatchet job man actually. you'd know this if you studied italian communism.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    they made those choises. the 'machinery' didnt force them to do it.
    they don't, their class forces them to. you never accumulate for yourself, that's a myth. This is why a capitalist can extol the virtues of prudence and thrift to his workers but everyone else is eyed with avaricious lust.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
    Good question.

I hate the way this sort of thinking privileges horrible wanker Marxists (all the Marxists are wankers apart from Jon). I'm reminded of the guy from Class War I used to know - kinda guy who had his head down the toilet at school and had evolved his politics in response to that.

It's still a sitting outside/above people rather than actually talking to them and listening.
    im glad u have such a high opinion of me mate.

ive never been in class war. actually ive never joined any leftist organisation. no reading groups either. marxism hermitism for me.

And Brexit, obviously. Plus the number of people who think climate change is a 'conspiracy', the anti-vaxx movement and all of that.

Edit: religion in general, arguably.

I mean the answer is so obviously 'yes' the question seems a bit redundant tbh.
    Er excuse me i didn't vote in your poncy referendum.

Aim to create a society that attends to people's psychological as well as material needs; prior to which, try to make sure your revolution isn't helmed by psychopaths likely to use idealism as an excuse to kill people. Difficult ask, of course, but no-one said it was gonna be easy.

can i shoot corbyn tho.

at this point my attempt to stop you would probably be quite weary. I'm not sure he's "the" (there are so many) problem as such, so much as a manifestation of previously existing problems - e.g. a left-wing that hasn't practically reinvented itself for the 21st century, despite a mountain of useful theory being produced by which to do so aka the Left needs its Mont Pelerin Society
    Last edited by baboon2004; 24-07-2018 at 05:36 PM.