Tech idiocy - laptop batteries

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I feel like a complete technological ignoramus posting this but it's the first time I've had the problem:

The battery of my laptop, purchased around 2 1/2 years ago, has suddenly become very unreliable when the machine is not plugged in. What I thought would be a simple procedure, i.e. replacing the battery, seems much more complicated with a glut of info online on 'fake' replacements, an £80 price tag on the battery, and no clear info as to which models accept which battery.

Simple question - is there any downside aside from electricity costs to just plugging the machine in as and when I need it? As I understand it, this isn't a problem for lithium-ion batteries, but I wanted to doublecheck with any tech-savvy people here.

Leo

I just got a new MacBook Pro after just finishing using a four-year old one, and always have them plugged in when working. doesn't seem to affect the cycle of the battery when I'm out and not plugged in.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Thanks to you both - that's put my mind at rest. One of those many questions to which the internet gives no clear answer, but Dissensus does.