how can we fix london?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Banning the internet and smartphones, implemented with extreme prejudice, is the key to establishing all the others. Good bread and Boris Johnson crucifixions will follow naturally.

Yorkshire people moaning about London is UK culture at its finest, but French people must not be allowed the freedom to do the same. It turns something brilliant (unhinged moaning) into something unbearable.

luka

benugo is not posh and has some of the worst, and worst made coffee in london. their monopoly of art gallery cafes is partly what inspired this thread.
losing the good cafe at tate modern to benugo was a stake through the heart

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
talking about bread, good coffee is still bizarrely difficult to find in London (and the wider UK, possibly), compared to France, Italy, Spain or wherever

luka

talking about bread, good coffee is still bizarrely difficult to find in London (and the wider UK, possibly), compared to France, Italy, Spain or wherever

im not sure i agree with this. workshop, caravan, all the various places supplied by square mile, kaffine, espresso room, all better than what you can find in europe.

the kiwis and australians (and later, the americans and the scandinavians) took coffee to far higher heights than anything seen on the continent and exported their knowledge to london starting around 2010ish

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
only been to one of those places - I'm sure you can find good coffee, but it seems unreasonably difficult given the focus upon coffee shops in 2018. Best of Uk may be better than best of Europe, but I'd still rather take my chances in Europe in a random cafe - overall standard seems higher to me. Obvs have to take into account the massive influence of the chains.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
benugo is not posh and has some of the worst, and worst made coffee in london. their monopoly of art gallery cafes is partly what inspired this thread.
losing the good cafe at tate modern to benugo was a stake through the heart

I dunno the difference clearly cos I like their coffee

And on top of that I love all their overpriced sandwiches and cakes

Just realised that BENUGO is one letter from BENUFO - coincidence?

wektor

I don't even know if there's more than one place within 1h of a walk from mine that does drip coffee and in yurop that shit is everywhere

catalog

go west. follow the sun. i think that's the dilemma really, at the moment. america and china i mean.

catalog

i mean that historically, going west has always been the route, or the supposed route. cos you are follwoing the sun. levant -> europe -> england -> america.

but we've reached a limit now. they've gone all the way round.

going west now would put you back in the east. so it's scary.

catalog

is it? i heard from a director. also in that book by the big dada guy, about epping forest, he talks to the guy from crass, penny, and he says the east of the city is usually always more depressed than the west, cos the prevailing wind tends to carry the pollution over there

luka

yeah thats true i did that in gcse geography. but leary used to talk about the wave moving west as you say from the levant through greece, italy, france, england, usa