Hayao Miyazaki

Woebot

because i am supposed to be an animator i am watching all the Hayao Miyazaki films again

the one's i hadn't seen are

castle of cagliostro
princess mononoke
porco rosso
nausicaa

so i picked these up - a bit cheaper if you get them on DVD not bluray

howls moving castle
the wind rises

less taken by the look of these so i didnt get these ones.

-

i'd seen laputa before with my children when they were little
it's ok - a little bit boring in fact

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Princess Mononoke is maybe the best one, although a lot of ppl would plump for Spirited Away. I also love Porco Rosso. The Wind Rises is not dissimilar to Porco Rosso in some ways and is also one of my favourites by him.

Goes without saying really that I think he's a genius.

I've not seen Castle of Cagliostro or Nausicaa (though I've got the latter on my shelf)

Have you seen The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness? Fascinating documentary about Miyizake and Takahata making (respectively) 'The Wind Rises' and 'The Story of Princess Kaguya'. Miyazake works like clockwork, smokes, does calisthenics and muses pessimistically about the fate of mankind, Takahata rarely appears and apparently rarely gets any work done.

droid

Ive watched all of these again with the kids over the last few years.

Cagliostro is great - if you like the character and format - part of a long running caper series.

Naussica is a gem, prescient in its message and the 70's sci fi environmental buzz, though I do prefer his manga. Porco Rosso is decent but inconsequential. Howl's Castle is on the same level.

I have a lot of time for Kiki's delivery service and the cat returns. Was blown away by Ponyo.

Totoro is undoubtably his masterpiece, though Spirited Away is up there, hidden depths in that one.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Porco Rosso is decent but inconsequential...

Was blown away by Ponyo.

Each to his own but how is Porco Ross inconsequential and Ponyo mind-blowing?

I wouldn't say Porco Rosso is mind blowing but it seemed to me to be one of his more personal and moving films, in spite of the pig-faced pilot - and I'd say that it's a good one to watch alongside The Wind Rises, since it covers many of the same themes (the uses facism makes of the technology Miyazake so admires), and is similarly elegiac in tone.

Ponyo OTOH seemed to me to be visually stunning but fairly thin as a story. Perhaps I need to revisit it.

I forgot about Totoro, somehow - definitely up there with the best of them, but I still prefer Mononoke.

droid

Dont get me wrong, I like Porco Rosso and theyre both love stories (of a sort), but Ponyo is visually stunning, replete with bizarre phantasmagorical elements, has a grander environmental theme and is full of a sense of ineffable childlike wonder that characterises his best work.

Woebot

Ive watched all of these again with the kids over the last few years.

Cagliostro is great - if you like the character and format - part of a long running caper series.

Naussica is a gem, prescient in its message and the 70's sci fi environmental buzz, though I do prefer his manga. Porco Rosso is decent but inconsequential. Howl's Castle is on the same level.

I have a lot of time for Kiki's delivery service and the cat returns. Was blown away by Ponyo.

Totoro is undoubtably his masterpiece, though Spirited Away is up there, hidden depths in that one.

cat returns by someone else https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cat_Returns

what we didn't know at the time was that this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panda!_Go,_Panda! (a big hit at home) was by miyazaki

bonkers and very sweet

Woebot

Dont get me wrong, I like Porco Rosso and theyre both love stories (of a sort), but Ponyo is visually stunning, replete with bizarre phantasmagorical elements, has a grander environmental theme and is full of a sense of ineffable childlike wonder that characterises his best work.

i love ponyo. not seen the other yet.

version

There's a clip of some younger animators excitedly showing him an AI model they've worked on and he rips it to pieces saying that it reminds him of his disabled friend and "whoever creates this stuff has no idea what pain is... ". He even calls it an "insult to life itself" and the younger guys are just sort of sat there, dumbfounded.