HAPPY BIRTHDAY LUKA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sadmanbarty

Well Labour doesn't have much of an opportunity to be making government policy at the moment, does it?

Well the Tory-leaning nature of most of the UK's national newspapers is unfortunately a fact of life that, for now, we must live with. For all that, a fact doesn't stop being a fact if it's articulated by a Tory MP or printed in the Telegraph, and Labour is never going to fix this problem for as long as the default response from many on the left is a sentence that starts "But the Tories...!" or "But the right-wing media...!". It's also an error to ignore all the words that have been written or spoken about the issue by people with good leftist credentials.

And I think your line about "lots of centrists who want Corbyn gone for reasons entirely unconnected with combating anti-Semitism" is mistaken, too. Many aspects of what for want of a better word might as well be called 'Corbynism' are absolutely of a piece with anti-Semitism: a general geopolitical isolationism (anti-EU, anti-NATO), a favourable view of Russia, a position of inflexible and absolute moralism regarding Israel/Palestine contrasted to a weirdly woolly relativism vis-a-vis Syria (and an outright pro-Russia stance on Ukraine/Crimea) and an unfortunately very conspiratorial sort of populist anti-capitalism. In a sense he's a victim of his own success because many of these traits are far more strongly displayed by a lot of his supporters than they are even by The Absolute Boy himself.

I mean, Corbyn has actually recently issued condemnations of anti-Semitism in particular in the party (i.e. not just the same old "all racism is bad" line), and even the Momentum leadership has admitted anti-Semitism is a widespread problem in Labour and that more needs to be done to tackle it. But I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if a lot of his more ardent fans suspect they've been forced to do this because of pressure from, you know, Them.

luka

wow. my whole life. i feel so blessed. first barty thread in 6 months too. ))))))):love:(((((((