pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Totally get your logic, but if you take into consideration the shit Surkov is up to it all becomes much more believable. The Russian mind is uber cryptic. Riddles wrapped in enigmas, double bluffs etc. Makes it all the more effective at keeping inquiring minds out. If you haven't already, watch hypernomalization. At least the Surkov bit, which I think is available on YouTube as a short clip. He basically gets the Kremlin to fund the extreme left and right, and then he announces it in the media leaving people not knowing if they're coming or going. His Wikipedia article has a bunch of interesting stuff. And the fact that he comes from a theatre background is interesting too. The beauty of it is that it really is so far fetched that even the smartest would never believe it. If I was trying to fuck with millions of people all at once I'd probably go that route instead of blowing big buildings up with planes.

The thing with stuff like this is that this bloke defected to Canada and became a pro-American voice after careful vetting. How are we to know whether he was right or whether he simply became a mouthpiece for the CIA and the rest? The manipulation could just as easily be to put these ideas out there in order to keep people under the thumb of the US government.

version

Totally get your logic, but if you take into consideration the shit Surkov is up to it all becomes much more believable. The Russian mind is uber cryptic. Riddles wrapped in enigmas, double bluffs etc. Makes it all the more effective at keeping inquiring minds out. If you haven't already, watch hypernomalization. At least the Surkov bit, which I think is available on YouTube as a short clip. He basically gets the Kremlin to fund the extreme left and right, and then he announces it in the media leaving people not knowing if they're coming or going. His Wikipedia article has a bunch of interesting stuff. And the fact that he comes from a theatre background is interesting too. The beauty of it is that it really is so far fetched that even the smartest would never believe it. If I was trying to fuck with millions of people all at once I'd probably go that route instead of blowing big buildings up with planes.

I've seen Hypernormalistion, it's a fascinating idea and I wouldn't be surprised if it were true, but who's to say that Curtis himself isn't one of the people pushing this sort of thing? He's often presented as this anti-establishment figure yet he's permitted to broadcast through the BBC and seems to be left to his own devices. His broadcasting of this stuff also muddies the waters further so could well be part of the same process or a Western equivalent. You wouldn't even need the Russians to actually do anything, just the idea that it could be happening is enough.

luka

again i havent read enough books to know what you are talking about but if you ever get a chance
to wriggle free after over 20 years of menial labour at monimum wage or slightly more, digging trenches, pushing wheelbarrows, pouring pints, making coffees, you will understand how good it feels. what a scarely believable relief it is to exist outside of that world for however long it might last for. feels like pissing rainbows.

firefinga

With Putin being high ranking KGB and and looking at what's going on during the last few years in Europe (russian money for right wing parties etc) or with Trump all of this makes a lot of sense.

luka

misdirection and disinformation are techniques both countries use and in both cases the primary targets are their own people cos they treat their own people like conquered, colonised subjects. it's just a refinement and an acceleration of the classic playbook.

glasshand

dj panic attack
top button on your shirt done up. huf cap. limited release trainers from footpatrol. hand stitched japanese 'streetwear; hoodie. ' goldsmiths replaces pirate radio as training ground and academy. the home counties displace london.

none of which makes the music bad necessarily. just noting that the gentrification of neighborhoods was accompanied by the gentrification of the fashions and the music (and, to some extent, the food) endemic to those neighborhoods.

When I think about this scene I think about Boiler Room too. Like Sicko Cell getting played at every Boiler Room. Perfect time for them to come along and gentrify club experiences. replace clubnights with weekday 7-11pm vibeless concerts ready to be sold to a sponsor. Feel like they really set the tone too, even when you weren't at Boiler Room, at a post-dubstep club night, it kinda felt like a Boiler Room without the cameras, just as stiff.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
The spectacle cannot be abstractly contrasted to concrete social activity. Each side of such a duality is itself divided. The spectacle that falsifies reality is nevertheless a real product of that reality, while lived reality is materially invaded by the contemplation of the spectacle and ends up absorbing it and aligning itself with it. Objective reality is present on both sides. Each of these seemingly fixed concepts has no other basis than its transformation into its opposite: reality emerges within the spectacle, and the spectacle is real. This reciprocal alienation is the essence and support of the existing society.

In a world that has really been turned upside down, the true is a moment of the false.

The concept of “the spectacle” interrelates and explains a wide range of seemingly unconnected phenomena. The apparent diversities and contrasts of these phenomena stem from the social organization of appearances, whose essential nature must itself be recognized. Considered in its own terms, the spectacle is an affirmation of appearances and an identification of all human social life with appearances. But a critique that grasps the spectacle’s essential character reveals it to be a visible negation of life—a negation that has taken on a visible form.

That heavy french shit.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
again i havent read enough books to know what you are talking about but if you ever get a chance
to wriggle free after over 20 years of menial labour at monimum wage or slightly more, digging trenches, pushing wheelbarrows, pouring pints, making coffees, you will understand how good it feels. what a scarely believable relief it is to exist outside of that world for however long it might last for. feels like pissing rainbows.

I envy you. will probably be doing audio typing in a call centre in a few months time. or working for a visually impaired company (well, charity) that treats its customers like absolute shite by selling the most of basic phones for £300

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
the whole industry is the worst circlejerk ever our braille note takers cost around £4000 and hardly have the functionality of an apple mac. and they are made at the cheapest rates in places like South Korea.

It's either that or care work for me. I could probably earn the same working in a bar or making coffee but none of those sighted cunts want my grubby hands pouring their drinks.
:(

how will we ever achieve gay communism.

luka

work isnt that bad as a concept but in reality too much weird and annoying stuff
with other people happens. bosses, owners, managers, colleagues, comrades etc

the best thing about work is its 10 hours of the day you dont need to account for.
makes life easier. no thinking.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I don't mind thinking. it's being forced not to think which is the problem. I read something that hunter gatherers/people in primitive communes spent like 40% or something of their time just sitting under a tree doing nothing. primitivism is crap but that is nice. just switch off when u feel like it.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
im not sure if post-dubstep is really all that analogous to idm when u come to think of it. Was thinking about @blissbloggers nu-idm term the other day.

idm was bringing the weird fucked up sounds of rave/techno to the couch or the lounge. many of the OG idmers were into jungle, hardcore, acid electro etc. rephlex released some brutal hard acid around 93. but yeah the tiring rhetoric of it being more *experimental* than the functional styles it jacks was way off course. still, i do not think that impulse is a bad thing, especially if you don't consume the music as a DJ.

post-dubstep saw itself as functional dance music (except because there was no real need to brock out it basically faceplanted.) LOL. Remember James Blake? Darkstar? Mount Kimby? thought not. this is probably why it will be fforgotten about in 10 years time whilst people still remember the best idm.

or maybe because i don't go clubbing anymore im just tryna justify why i like to chill with idm sounds.

Last edited:

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Post dubstep sounds like it's trying too hard to be interesting by approaching the dance floor from the intellectual side. Using signifiers and deconstruction rather than genuine exploration. Closed minded. A dematerialized empty vessel. Safely going through the motions, not trying to step outside of any boundaries. Self satisfied, masturbatory. Trying for a heightened state of cool but ultimately falling short of being anything other than 21st century muzak.

I get this is reiterating a lot of whats already been said.

Last edited:

Leo

post-dubstep saw itself as functional dance music (except because there was no real need to brock out it basically faceplanted.) LOL. Remember James Blake?...thought not.

LOL! Blake tours the world, received a Grammy Award nomination, and has collaborated or done production work for Kendrick Lamar, Beyoncé, Vince Staples, Frank Ocean and Bon Iver. I bet lots of others wish they could faceplant like that!