thirdform

pass the sick bucket
or he fucked that girl from the XX who had the most sexless voice ever, and i don't mean that in an objectified female way or whatever, there are male voices that are very sexy, i am probably a bit bi tbh.

version

It might just be a case of being clever enough to pull something apart but not clever enough to reassemble it in any meaningful way.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
well thats not really a fair comparison pop music is marketed pop music. i mean the connoisseur culture is stronger here. even indie rockers are finally waking up to the joys of disco.

version

This thread set me off on a Coki thing. He definitely had a singular sound, everyone copied it but nobody sounded like him. You could hear his tunes from a mile off.

I'd completely forgotten about this too:

"I be the old school, rude boy, roughneck soldier. Now I'm getting older, heart is getting colder... "

EmpressJess

Hipsters were an integral part of the hardcore continuum. In many respects the hardcore continuum was working class whites and black people seeing what they could do with the stimuli offered by hipsters. When hipsters are written out of the picture, that's how you end up with road rap. It loses its futurist edge.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Hipsters were an integral part of the hardcore continuum. In many respects the hardcore continuum was working class whites and black people seeing what they could do with the stimuli offered by hipsters. When hipsters are written out of the picture, that's how you end up with road rap. It loses its futurist edge.

I mean I would agree with that to an extent but what happened with post-dubstep is it cut itself off from the scene... Johnny L was a jazzcat u lot know, john b was into stockhausen and shit, artwork used to make techno as grain.

Well, the nuum kinda died by 2011 didn't it tho.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket

i mean this is still ahead of most post-dubstep.

you know how you'll get those old ravers saying jungle and happy shouldn't have split, well that's how i feel about grime and dubstep. by 07 each went their own ways and had something lacking. nowadays grime fans have merged into UK rap and drill if it ain't just doing the cultural browbeating thing.

i mean that's my whole argument, reterritorialisation is a decadent symptom of late capitalism. the continuum could not be immune from this even if it wanted to. sometimes u just gotta let hings be.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
oh some of it is undoubtedly great music, pev, girl unit, early pangaea, ramadanman, 2562, etc.

The problem was when it became its own thing so you'd have post-dubstep/future garage producers who would reference other post-dubstep producers and it would become a circlejerk. A bit like what happened with idm when it got big in the US, people listening to Autechre without out knowing about Man Parrish or Juan Atkins.

This is why i always went to nights that were kinda on the outer edges of that scene like Colony, who would play banging techno, pan sonic type harsh noise bits, and book jungle purists like Equinox sci wax amongst the UK bass mutations.

reterritorialisation.

tomfun

Is the disinterest in "post dubstep" (or "post-step" as my ex said folks called it at her school) the reason for no engagement in the current UK Techno stuff, or the Hard Drum type stuff?

Or have i just missed these threads?

version

Is the disinterest in "post dubstep" (or "post-step" as my ex said folks called it at her school) the reason for no engagement in the current UK Techno stuff, or the Hard Drum type stuff?

Or have i just missed these threads?

I don't think anybody really talks about it. It's a shame because I'd be interested in seeing some proper discussion but at the same time it doesn't feel as though there's much to discuss.

CrowleyHead

I remember seeing some folks resentful about the careers shifting into a lot of the DMZ goers music slowly getting simply absorbed by house and techno "proper" (maybe not here but elsewhere) and it was a bizarre thing to watch. The sort of anger at the notion that the experimentation and the branching would naturally lead back to the Big Boy Genres.

At the same time though, I'd rather listen to what Blawan did to techno in that moment than a lot of other techno producers of the moment at that point. Was definitely interesting though in that sort of notion that these were from dubstep ppl so there was a sense of ownership; like even Skrillex played "Why They Hide Their Bodies" a couple times and I don't think that dude pays attention to what's big in 'techno' per se.