good ideas that actually ended up coming out as an unmitigated disaster

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
and their metal was Sabbath and Cliff era Metallica

it's like a lot of things where the original is drawing disparate cool influences and then followers are just pale imitations partially cos they lack that breadth of influence

craner

Beast of Burden
That’s a big claim! Particularly as I see them as the big brother of EMF and Jesus Jones.

Jesus Jones! Jesus Jones!

john eden

male pale and stale
This thread was a good idea but then it became a thread about EMF?

Dubstep was a good idea but was largely a disaster.

padraig (u.s.)

but also tbh man come on there is no way you can listen to Right Here Right Now and anything off The Real Thing or Angel Dust and tell me that's a solid comparison

FNM does do some ballads but they're full-on Patton crooner thing, they don't sound nothing like that weak sauce

padraig (u.s.)

Pad, this may not make much sense to a non-Brit, true.
I see the temporal logic - turn of the 90s alt-rock kinda thing - it just sonically doesn't

idk if there really was analogous UK thing, yall guitar bands went from Madchester etc dance rock to Britpop with a shoegaze detour, not lotta FNM type thing

craner

Beast of Burden
FNM had a big influence* in the UK in 1990/1 because EMF and Jesus Jones were both heavily influenced by them, plus techno, hip hop, rave. I was 11 at the time. They were my Bowie!

So I’m taking the piss, but also not.

*in the charts for kids in the regions

luka

padraig is the anti-dissensus. a one man distillation of everything that dissensus is opposed to.
antithetical values and an antagonistic aesthetic. dirty things. noisy things. ugly things.

luka

i admit i get antsy and uncomfortable when padraig talks about music cos i don't think
we should ever mention these genres or artists on this message board. it feels like a
betrayal of the spirit of the place. it's not what dissensus is about. it's wrong.
it's not personal padraig. i know you're heart's in the right place.

padraig (u.s.)

you mean we should only talk about what, nuum musics, 80s electric soul, 90s r+b? and rap I guess, drill + whatever.

idk man aren't the archives probably rife with deep OG threads about free jazz or whatever. this used to be a contrarian revisionist place back then.

I like the dissensus stuff mostly, I just like other stuff too. I contain multitudes like us all.

ofc heart always in the right place.

droid

I was into them in my early teen metal days, and I have mate who is obsessed with Patton, been to dozens of gigs... actually met him once. We've almost come to blows.

luka

im just saying i feel very uncomfortable having u.s. hardcore, for instance, discussed on here.
even acknowleging the existence of guitar rock i consider to be 'problematic' in the extreme.