good ideas that actually ended up coming out as an unmitigated disaster

droid

I went back to them a few years back and couldnt stand their horrible tinny pop opera metal fusion. You can argue their conceptual or compositional merits, but their sound... it's just so awful and trebly.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
hey thanks guys

let it be clear that I fully respect things like luka + craner's deep r+b knowledge or droid's 90s ambient roots, or whatever, despite them not being my thing

a diversity of outlooks surely has to make a message board a better place

I've always thought the backbone shared opinion is ardkore-jungle-garage-grime and beyond that anything goes

and I do still like a lot of dirty noisy ugly things tho not nearly as much as in my youth when they were basically all I was into for a long time

padraig (u.s.)

You can argue their conceptual or compositional merits, but their sound... it's just so awful and trebly.
yeah I can hear that. I think it got much worse when Martin left cos he kept them tethered to still rocking out, not just waffling off into mishmash land.

I can't defend everything but like I said Patton is always an interesting dude who makes interesting choices even they're not my thing, which is pretty rare

padraig (u.s.)

but in general I hear wanting to escape the hegemony of guitar rock, even if that's not really a thing anymore and hasn't been for a while

it's I'm sure a more sensitive topic for people who grew up in the UK in the 90s and experienced Britpop smothering the popular breakthru of jungle and so on

but sure I'm ultimately a rock dude who went away from it and then all the way back around in the way you can sometimes come back to enjoy things from when you were young but mostly without the hangups and tribalisms and whatever. it's just part of my musical weltanschauung. I don't make threads about it or anything. it's a pretty minimal intrusion on you luka. and I'm only sporadically around here anyway.

but I didn't want to derail what was potentially a pretty good thread idea so that's all to say on it.

luka

im not trying to chase you out. just explaining my strong, instinctive reactions. you got as much right to be here as i have.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
who actually wants to discuss nuum though apart from tech house 30-something-year-olds. it's dead. let's move on.

It's llike drill, and UK afrobeats, it's not really a nuum music is it. and tbh if we're going to be london, well, london is also fucking boring now.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
the only dance music worth listening to these days is electro and that is more padraig than luka, brittle surfaces and cold synth textures. could one actually stand listening to an hour of rinse in 2018?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
anyway pop house felt like a good idea but it was open to so much cheesy sax and proto-trance cliches.

idk i kinda like it still.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
nu skool breaks. was neither nu skool nor had breaks. music for 36-year-old white dudes and 16-year-olds from nowhere towns.

CrowleyHead

Epic is a great song. it's just you can also see all kinds of terrible things in it, from Linkin Park to metalcore.

can't really blame Patton + co. tho, just like you can't blame Rites of Spring for My Chemical Romance or whatever

Everything mentioned in this quote is good.

Linkin Park is a superior version of The Pop Group.

luka

luka is salty that north london was listening to garage before east.

this is true. london underground and freek were based in north london.
heartless were from archway. but the early freek fm days of garage
were tasteful and dull. the music didn't come to life till east london
got it's grubby little hands on it.

luka

gangsta rap was good though. nwa were good. the chronic was good. doggystyle was good.
and i would say that social media is only bad cos people are bad. if they were interesting
intelligent and kind then the platforms they use would be interesting intelligent and kind.
(this doesnt negate the surveillance and social manipulation angle admittedly)

luka

who actually wants to discuss nuum though apart from tech house 30-something-year-olds. it's dead. let's move on.

It's llike drill, and UK afrobeats, it's not really a nuum music is it. and tbh if we're going to be london, well, london is also fucking boring now.

this is what i was trying to discuss on that other thread but no one knew what i was on about.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Hip hop's embrace of the gangsta, criminality and transgression is absolutely one of the things that have made the music vital.