is persuasion unevolved?

luka

is it unevolved to try and impress your subjective experience and values onto people?
reynolds is always very clear about this being the function of music criticism
and i think hes right. i think most of what we do here fits the same model.
that a huge amount of communication is about this. but at what point
does the motivation, the libidinal underpinnings, become coercive?

luka

i suppose it's at the point it turns into wanting to destroy the others experience. where it becomes a contest of wills and the object is to win.

it's good to communicate your subjective experience as clearly as you can and you want to have as clear and as strong a sense of other peoples subjective experience and values but i guess there is a point at which you have to accept that some people just wont 'get it.' the content is not translatable across that boundary, for whatever reason. that is not a failure of communication or a question of bad faith but too great a difference in metabolism, or cultural/intellectual reference points, or you know, whatever it might be that comes between people.

blissblogger

but i guess there is a point at which you have to accept that some people just wont 'get it.' the content is not translatable across that boundary, for whatever reason. that is not a failure of communication or a question of bad faith but too great a difference in metabolism, or cultural/intellectual reference points, or you know, whatever it might be that comes between people.

it is confounding and perplexing that people don't hear things the same way - don't hear what you hear in something

and also lonely as well

so you might be trying to persuade them (possibly as foolhardy and futile as someone who likes anchovies trying to persuade someone who hates anchovies that they are delicious)

but it's also reaching out to see if anyone hears it or feels it in the same way

maturity is getting beyond the stage of "must obliterate your viewpoint / hearing-point" (using invalidation, mockery, abuse, tortured philosophical and political arguments etc etc) and getting to the "how interesting that you hear it so differently! how did that come about then? what forces us make us differ?" stage

trouble is, on the prose level, the immaturity phase lends itself to more exciting - cos excited, worked up - writing

the mature, each-to-their-own approach tends to be a bit tepid and easy-going

i am libidinally attached as a reader (and a writer) to that kind of writing where people lose all sense of perspective and proportion - and rage about aesthetic disagreements and other people's taste-heresy as if it really really mattered and was some kind of atrocity

the minute you start to have a more balanced, accepting type of outlook, the temperature of the prose starts to dip

but it's certainly healthier to be like that

luka

tricky isnt it. ive definitely been dwelling a bit too much on the lonlieness aspect too recently.

and i obviously have far too much of a taste for the 'immature' i cant get it out of my system.
it energises me and makes me cackle. it's fine if people are robust enought to enjoy it but most
people arent.

version

the minute you start to have a more balanced, accepting type of outlook, the temperature of the prose starts to dip

I recently read an article on William Gaddis' letters, in one excerpt he said that the most difficult thing about aging as a writer is remaining angry enough to continue writing well. He talked about "... summoning that indignation to surface yet once more & for long enough to sustain a fiction to embrace it...".

luka

it energises. it's not just anger though. it's also, for me at least, primate politics, displays of dominance etc. i find that energising too. flexing your muscles etc. its reprehensible. but also addictive and pleasurable. but as you get older you sort of wonder if its acceptable any more.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
without the flexing, what could we generate?

i'm picturing an eternal buddha lounge of the soul

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Details about your subjective experience add up to useful background for other people when they're wondering "Why the fuck is s/he telling me this?". It adds to communication, whereas hectoring people with your subjective values might not, as fun as it is.

luka

the most sinister people are men who disavow that outward, hearty, good, honest, cheerful agression and speak in a strained hushed tone, softening every word like theres a baby sleeping nearby.

baboons will vouch for me when i say male therapists are often like this. very creepy, sordid, dishonest types. walking around pretending to have been castrated while at the same time they're trying to peer down the tops of teenage girls.

luka

it's also a characteristically middle-class form of dishonesty i suppose.
not that im advocating strutting around kicking sand in peoples faces either.
that's disgusting too.

luka

im just trying to work out how to behave. it's quite hard. because i have magical powers i have to take care not to abuse them but no one teaches you about that. you have to work it out for yourself.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
it is confounding and perplexing that people don't hear things the same way - don't hear what you hear in something

I think you lose this as you get older (or I have anyway) because you have lived long enough not to be able to hear what you used to hear in some things.

luka

I think you lose this as you get older (or I have anyway) because you have lived long enough not to be able to hear what you used to hear in some things.

even as regards the things you love most dearly? the cornerstones of your aesthetic temple?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
the most sinister people are men who disavow that outward, hearty, good, honest, cheerful agression and speak in a strained hushed tone, softening every word like theres a baby sleeping nearby.

baboons will vouch for me when i say male therapists are often like this. very creepy, sordid, dishonest types. walking around pretending to have been castrated while at the same time they're trying to peer down the tops of teenage girls.

Someone needs to do a Taxonomy of Therapists and Counsellors - there are a few different classes, but together they encompass about 95% of the overall population. The blandly creepy male therapist is certainly one of them.

luka

i was aspiring to be the laing type. before they dragged me down. mercurial and brilliant but basically because mad essentially encouraging others to join me in madness so i have more company.

luka

the thing is i know things can open out with the right words. the right words can provide an access point to an experience. it does work and it's not coercive.