Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pitchfork's '200 Best Albums of the 1980s'

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    the first 4th Bathory albums are the be-all and end-all of black metal, in my not so humble opinion
    don't think anyone really disagrees with that opinion, in the general sense

it is weird too what postpunk did/didn't make it

like nothing funk/avant-funk - no Gang of Four, 23 Skidoo, James Chance, etc ad infinitum

and on funk I cannot overstate how crazy it is to have zero boogie, 80s funk, etc besides Prince and one Patrice Rushen LP

ya like disco it was really a 12" genre but still - Zapp, Mtume, Midnight Star - shit we ain't talking about obscurities

3. The Following User Says Thank You to padraig (u.s.) For This Useful Post:

Seems a breath of fresh air NOT having 'Hex Enduction Hour' on there, tbh. Still think 'Wonderful & Frightening..' and 'Bend Sinister' always get unfairly overlooked in favour of TNSG.
    I'd have liked to have seen Perverted by Language on there over both Hex and TNSG; Wonderful & Frightening... and Grotesque are decent too.

One insane entry is Virginia Astley's From Gardens Where We Feel Secure. Dunno how that got in there. There'd be room for a Ninjaman Lp without it.

Quote Originally Posted by padraig (u.s.) View Post
    They did have Celtic Frost but Bathory is a big absence. the rest besides Venom are too kvlt underground & also often not in English which for this list was apparently a significant barrier.

Rudi P didn't have ought to do w/black metal but you'd think if any peace punk band would make it they would, being weird and outsider arty. Death Church is a great LP anyway.

not surprised by no anarchopunk tho. too sincere, hippieish, not lumpenprole enough for canonical aesthete list.
    because proles like good music.

I never got into Adam + the Ants. do the dumb clothes obscure something good? I know there's supposed to the whole Burundi beat thing or whatever.
    Dirk Wears White Sox (and all the accompanying stuff on youtube that wasn't released) is/are great punk/post punk/new wave fun, Kings of the Wild Frontier is a great album and Prince Charming is hands down the weirdest song to ever get to Number One and the weirdest album to ever get to Number One.

I've really never understood the appeal of SY. Like you, found that album quite stunningly boring.
    They were THE music critics darlings in the 80s and 90s weren't they? And didn't they also - kinda - started out in the US-hardcore movement, but were more artsy outsider-types?

Quote Originally Posted by firefinga View Post
    didn't they also - kinda - started out in the US-hardcore movement
    no not at all. adjacent to the early NYHC scene maybe but they were no wave proto noise rock types always. also older - early 20s - than the v teenager hxc scene.

they were on SST for awhile but that was after SST had moved on from hardcore

now I'm sure Moore or Gordon could give you an exquisitely curated list of early-mid 80s U.S. hardcore, just like they could free jazz or any other cool scene

but they were never hardcore to begin with the way Minutemen or Husker Du were

Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    proles like good music
    sometimes. their taste isn't any better or worse than overeducated whatever aesthete critics. it's just different.

talking more critical taste in prole-coded music, what it does and doesn't include.

i.e. dumb metal but not dumb hardcore (instead, artier smarter hardcore) for whatever reason. roots, not dancehall.

I don't have a sweeping theorem of it but I know when I see it you know.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to padraig (u.s.) For This Useful Post:

From Gardens Where We Feel Secure is a good record btw. top anything list idk but I like it and I'm no big fan of English pastoralism in general.

the problem isn't really with a single LP anyway so much as having 15-20 (at least) modern classical, ambient etc records and all the aforementioned omissions.

It is a good record, played it on the radio last month actually, and no huge objection to the ambient/avant stuff, that one just seemed to stand out like a sore thumb, especially with no On Land.

sometimes. their taste isn't any better or worse than overeducated whatever aesthete critics. it's just different.

talking more critical taste in prole-coded music, what it does and doesn't include.

i.e. dumb metal but not dumb hardcore (instead, artier smarter hardcore) for whatever reason. roots, not dancehall.

I don't have a sweeping theorem of it but I know when I see it you know.

haha yeah. I just hate the hippie aesthetic in music. when i was a teenager like 14-15 i thought all those cannonical 60s/70s bands were mindblowing but actually the more i went into free jazz and avant-electronix i was like meh give me aretha's first three on atlantic over, oh, despairing fucking hell, pink floyd dsotm.

I actually want to delete all my floyd albums cos waters is an odious man. I mean I like music made by horrible and reactionary people but floyd don't even have that transcendent luxury.