Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: the conservative view of history

the far right realised that they couldn't go full scale palingenesis. they had to appeal to that grey zone where centre rightism shades into actual blood and soil racism.

this is why, compared to most of the classical left their praxis is more in tune with contemporary trends.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by craner View Post
    Is there a conservative school, generation or tendency we are referring to?
    well

Quote Originally Posted by padraig (u.s.) View Post
    Thomas Carlyle

Thucydides as opposed to Herotodus

Austrian School as opposed to Frankfurt School

The Practice of History as opposed to What Is History
    i haven't read anything by Niall Ferguson but I have to imagine yes. Victor Davis Hanson.

but idk as we're specifically talking about historians so much as like the title says "view of history", as it informs one's world view

the why and the how of history - why do people do the things they do, why do events occur as they do - rather than the what

historians and historiography play a large if usually indirect role in framing that view, outlining its boundaries.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to padraig (u.s.) For This Useful Post:

also there's overlap between a conservative view of history and historians who are conservatives but they're not the same thing

you could say the same thing for a "liberal view of history", "Marxist view of history", etc

it's a map is not the territory situation

6. The Following User Says Thank You to padraig (u.s.) For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by padraig (u.s.) View Post
    also there's overlap between a conservative view of history and historians who are conservatives but they're not the same thing

you could say the same thing for a "liberal view of history", "Marxist view of history", etc

it's a map is not the territory situation
    yeh I'm not so interested in what historians individual convictions are. Hobsbawm and EH Carr were relatively conservative compared to the situationists understanding of history for instance.

Tangential hit and run post that I'll try and develop later - I'll admit that disliking Corbyn and his associates as much as I do has pushed me back into more Conservative positions. Interesting to observe in oneself, it's like hairs coming out of your nostrils as you get older - "Hmmm, maybe Alistair Campbell isn't that bad after all".

Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    the far right realised that they couldn't go full scale palingenesis.
    I don't know what this means so I'm going to assume it's something to do with craner's Alaskan dream girl.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    couldn't go full scale palingenesis
    they saw what happened with cats like Pinochet and the Greek colonels. or the KKK here. their brain trust types ain't stupid like the rank + file.

it's not exactly new - David Duke was onto this tip 30+ years ago, for one - but elide the jackboots with nice haircuts, code the bigot ugliness into plausible deniability.

those mfers have now lucked into a period highly receptive to their views, the last decade plus having been a Steve Bannon wet/fever dream and all.

the truly gross part is people never learn (incidentally this is why history is important) so you can get away with slight variations on basically the same playbook over + over.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to padraig (u.s.) For This Useful Post:

haven't read anything by Niall Ferguson but I have to imagine yes. Victor Davis Hanson.

but idk as we're specifically talking about historians so much as like the title says "view of history", as it informs one's world view

the why and the how of history - why do people do the things they do, why do events occur as they do - rather than the what

historians and historiography play a large if usually indirect role in framing that view, outlining its boundaries.
    LOL, go and stand in the corner, Craner...

Quote Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
    Tangential hit and run post that I'll try and develop later - I'll admit that disliking Corbyn and his associates as much as I do has pushed me back into more Conservative positions. Interesting to observe in oneself, it's like hairs coming out of your nostrils as you get older - "Hmmm, maybe Alistair Campbell isn't that bad after all".
    these days i just ignore jezza tbh. but then ive never thought electoral politics really meant anything, even when i was a quietist liberal.
    Last edited by thirdform; 19-09-2018 at 07:17 PM.

what gets me riled is syria, but tbh i think a lot of that, these days at least, is the left being about 40 years out of date with history. so you just get anti-imperialism when its still believed that it is not in russia's interest in crushing middle eastern autonomous movements. But despite their tensions in Syria US and russia have been working towards same goal. this is just as bad as the turkish conservatives who think ISIS is an american creation. people are really politically uninformed these days where they can't even get basic facts correct. but i guess that is how the spectacle rules, these days.
    Last edited by thirdform; 19-09-2018 at 07:24 PM.