Thread: Did John Duncan really shag a corpse?

Default Did John Duncan really shag a corpse?

OK, so John Duncan's 'infamous' piece "Blind Date" is billed as the sound of him having sex with a dead Mexican woman, as part of some nihilistic comment on the futility of childbirth (and a ritual that took place on very cheap plastic sheets, if the audio's to be trusted).

Now, I know a bit about how this avant-garde schtick works, so I always assumed that this was just an almighty whopper to piss off the more conservative elements of the art scene, and to gain a bit of notoriety for what otherwise sounds like someone rustling around for 15 mins or so.

But I read a recent(ish) interview with him, and the intro detailed how he actually rang up a mortician in Mexico who was well known for his willingness to accommodate necrophiliacs, provided they had the readies. Duncan's act of corpse-shagging is printed as fact, as is the additional info that he filmed his own vasectomy.

Anyway, you're all the experimental experts, is this true? Was he just bullshitting to seem super-weird and edgy, or did he really bang a stiff?

I must confess I've not heard this and have no particular desire to.

My guess is that there's only one person who knows whether or not he did it and he'll keep schtum whilst the edginess of it all is still doing him good.

There's definitely a dividing line in experimental music between people (like me) who hope that it is all a scam vs people who hope that he did it (or revel in the uncertainty of it all).

Having said that I do like his recording of gale force wind in Tel Aviv on this:
    https://www.discogs.com/Various-Vol-J/release/2221704

(alongside the recording of the illegal settlement fence in Palestine by another artist on the same comp).

Filming your own vasectomy is hardly a big deal, not that I did.

Quote Originally Posted by john eden View Post
    Filming your own vasectomy is hardly a big deal, not that I did
    classic John Eden humblebrag

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to padraig (u.s.) For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by padraig (u.s.) View Post
    classic John Eden humblebrag
    I mean, I didnít want the surgeon and nurse to have any additional distractions.

I dunno, I think having a vasectomy is pretty hardcore. Maybe I'm being a complete woofter, I just have this totally irrational fear of surgeons coming towards my genitals with cutting implements. Certainly more hardcore than cadaver sex, which is just bad taste.

John Duncan's "Riot" album is much better, but I struggle with a lot of the po-faced nature of his stuff.

Yeah I keep meaning to check out the Riot one.

It is basically posh white blokes trying to outdo each other for bants, all this though.

Same with the pretending to be a nazi stuff.

"Duncan was born in Wichita, Kansas to parents of English and Scottish ancestry. He was raised with a strict Calvinist upbringing where self-reliance, hard work and the suppression of emotional suffering were considered virtues, questioning authority was severely punished."

I mean, say what you like about my C of E childhood but I've never felt the urge to fuck a corpse in the name of art.

...say what you like about my C of E childhood but I've never felt the urge to fuck a corpse in the name of art.
    you just wrote your tombstone epitaph.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leo For This Useful Post:

"Did John Eden really shag a corpse?"

I mean, say what you like about my C of E childhood but I've never felt the urge to fuck a corpse in the name of art.
    So it was purely for recreation, is what you're saying?
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you