Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Dematerialisation.

and please dont assume i want to talk about conscious evocation of screen-life. again i think that is very boring. i just mean the inevitability of it. that it has to show up just as the blackberry pips show up in the bird shit. it's how history works. everything leaves a trace.

the inputs determine the outputs.

is the mass generalisation of prison-like anxiety really that boring to discuss? I guess I'll bow out of this thread then. The dreaminess, it is a narcosis, a limitation of consciousness, not an inevitability. ultimately these are just tools.

like, i guess it's sort of a game. you can think of it as a game. you go
    "internet then, what's that do? what does that do to us? what does it feel like to use it? what is the nature of the relationship? what does it change? what does it look like? what effects does it produce? what tricks does it rely on?"

then you go

"what might musical analogues of those things be? how could you evoke those affects and effects and changes and conditions in sound? what might some examples be?"

you could play the same game with supermarkets, or with drugs, or with, as droid gestured towards, the mainstreaming of electricity and the associated devices (radio, television, lights etc etc) at different points in history but i am assuming that our point in history is currently dominated by the internet and by digitisation.

Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    is the mass generalisation of prison-like anxiety really that boring to discuss? I guess I'll bow out of this thread then. The dreaminess, it is a narcosis, a limitation of consciousness, not an inevitability. ultimately these are just tools.
    i've already staged the strategic strop and slope off. it cant be done twice in one thread.

it's not boring to discuss and if you can link it to the thread topic, even tangentially, then you should obviously talk about it.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    like, i guess it's sort of a game. you can think of it as a game. you go
    "internet then, what's that do? what does that do to us? what does it feel like to use it? what is the nature of the relationship? what does it change? what does it look like? what effects does it produce? what tricks does it rely on?"

then you go

"what might musical analogues of those things be? how could you evoke those affects and effects and changes and conditions in sound? what might some examples be?"

you could play the same game with supermarkets, or with drugs, or with, as droid gestured towards, the mainstreaming of electricity and the associated devices (radio, television, lights etc etc) at different points in history but i am assuming that our point in history is currently dominated by the internet and by digitisation.
    musically you'd need to look to Alva Noto prototypes and tranceform I think. cold emotionless micro reflections. I guess the sort of Migos sound is more like losing ones virginity, amazing sex at first but gets emotionally limiting eventually. whereas with noto it's that gaping void. if anything the internet and the way its structured is a zone of fruitless intensification. all neurons maxed out.
    Last edited by thirdform; 27-09-2018 at 11:24 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post:

i want you to do it. that's why i come on here. it feels sterile doing it by myself. its not arousing.

i find a lot of contemporary pop and possibly even that disaffected modern r&b even more so, to be very redolent of online existence. the glazed quality for instance. (and sure, opiates, painkillers etc but i think it dovetails/synergises) the distancing. the de-souling of r&b. the complete change in singing style. the idea of the future as being glamorous and boring at the same time. this hungry, empty feeling. this kind of addicts irritability and restlessness. the hollow feeling the internet is so good at giving you.

(the internet is great when it notices you and speaks back but devestating when it ignores you.)

let me you know what you think of that album then. i think its the ultimate digitalised music personally.

After being on the internet for around 13 years every day i don't think i can really remember when the internet really spoke back to me. I'd have to back to the days of MSN messenger tbh.

this is what im saying. the future isn't glamorous and boring, it's just boring.

the human failed. it didn't become hyper human. it had the blood drained out of it in a madhouse.

and then there's the increasingly hysterical (and undeniable, incontrovertible)sensation of reality becoming less and less real which i think is brought out well in a lot of photography and video work from fashion and pop. e.g. the katy perry video for dark horse and was officially inaugurated by my all time favourite film the matrix.

it becomes harder and harder to beleive reality is not programmed and fabricated. IF ONLY JUST ON AN AESTHETIC LEVEL. that it's all transmuted into a gaudy soap opera. all buried under a thick layer of orange foundation.

Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    let me you know what you think of that album then. i think its the ultimate digitalised music personally.

After being on the internet for around 13 years every day i don't think i can really remember when the internet really spoke back to me. I'd have to back to the days of MSN messenger tbh.
    the internet is speaking back to you right now. you are literally involved in a conversation with it. i am the internet.

(i like noto. i played him on that first radio show i did. twice.)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

this is ultimately the problem with poptimists. what they wanted failed. the music isn't even beaten up anymore. it's just modulated as a dictatorship. it provides no openings anymore. it's just a self-contained tyranny.

they managed to untie pop from liberation so now all we get is Beyonce's conservative industrial sweatshop branding shtick.

It's certainly not a desire anymore. it's just a social coding. you are stuck in this box. adhere to it.

i think its just as easy to see that as sexy and dystopian as miserable and depressing tbh. it's why vigilant citizen is one of my favourite websites.