Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 343515253

Thread: Dematerialisation.

the ubiquity of the word "savage" in the dematerialised age.

is soma on the way?

Quote Originally Posted by mvuent View Post
    repeating something with no changes can be great of course, but maybe you can add some degree of variation without losing the 'stay on it' appeal you're talking about? guess i'm thinking of how acid house or dub techno will be built around the repetition of one motif that gets filtered, sent through reverb, etc. in different ways without its basic character really changing--or even how old delta blues musicians will play the same riff over and over slightly differently each time. (there are probably a lot of relatively minimalist styles of music that wouldn't qualify though.)

idk, just wonder if it's possible to the combine the 'repeat the best part' ethos of dance music with the 'river-like' flux possible with generative music to an extent.
    to elaborate on this thought slightly: saying that, to some extent, you can vary something 'perfect' without ruining it might seem obvious and beside the point (or alternatively, obviously wrong). but it's exciting when you realize that it might be possible to unite musical directions that seem like opposites, because it changes your conception of what's possible with the medium. (in other words, it's exciting to think that what seems like an "either/or" situation might actually be a "plus/and" one.) and to me, variation certainly has an appeal of its own--so the idea that you can repeat the best part and change it at the same time is more interesting/consequential than it might initially seem.
    Last edited by mvuent; 10-02-2019 at 03:47 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mvuent For This Useful Post:

The Cicada is Already There - https://journal.hkw.de/en/die-zikade-ist-schon-da/

"I guess by default I take the digital to be convincing in its own right, with each increase in resolution or fidelity being a threshold step in conscious experience. So, I sort of believe in the marketing language of flat-screen TVs, virtual reality, theater sound systems, etc., in a kind of primitive way. I’m not interested in “problematizing” this relationship we have with the digital realm in a generic way. I think you can be native to an environment and still be critical. I’m glad that I got online just before social networks, and got to experience as a young person the internet as a wide-open but also very private place."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

In retrospect I'd have liked to bring red dead redemption into this thread, back when I was obsessed with it and thought it was a digital hymn to the natural world, a possible exit point through the vortex into a bygone life of hunting, fishing, and gentle walks.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

Except you spent the whole time also killing people.