muser

saw one of these shows in Tokyo a couple of weeks ago, was really trippy, felt like the obsolescence of fireworks but also totally sterile and digital, no unnecessary noise , everything in its place, if you saw it another day it would be exactly the same.

luka

irs so fucked how hard people tried to stop this thread the first twenty one pages is me having to fight tooth and nail for it. Then Barty turns up but even then I'm still fighting fighting fighting. The resistance it caused is monumental. I've never ever seen anything like it. I'm still pissed off about it.

luka

I shouldn't have to hack through hundreds of grasping limbs and stand on a pile of corpses just to get a fair hearing. Be nice one day to actually win enough trust that people would be willing to think with me.

luka

I'd forgotten about it but this morning I was looking for a quote and it brought it all flooding back.

craner

Beast of Burden
It was an internet sensation. The big moment that Dissensus had been leading up to since 2004.

luka

And still I've got no credit in the dissensus bank! Still everyone here is against me Craner! They want to drag me down!

poetix

we murder to dissect
And still I've got no credit in the dissensus bank! Still everyone here is against me Craner! They want to drag me down!

All accounts in the dissensus bank are overdrawn from the moment they are opened. The original sin, of posting on dissensus, can never be expunged.

poetix

we murder to dissect
Who here can say that they are in the good graces of their own guardian angel? Who has a calm assurance in their own righteousness?

luka

Well l it fluctuates doesn't it and when they come close to alignment magical things start happening.

luka

And the trick, I think, is to keep pushing. Not to stop and 'reward' yourself at that point but to persevere . persist in the folly.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Does this belong here?

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/decade-in-review/the-age-of-instagram-face

THE AGE OF INSTAGRAM FACE

How social media, FaceTune, and plastic surgery created a single, cyborgian look.
By Jia Tolentino

There was something strange, I said, about the racial aspect of Instagram Face—it was as if the algorithmic tendency to flatten everything into a composite of greatest hits had resulted in a beauty ideal that favored white women capable of manufacturing a look of rootless exoticism. “Absolutely,” Smith said. “We’re talking an overly tan skin tone, a South Asian influence with the brows and eye shape, an African-American influence with the lips, a Caucasian influence with the nose, a cheek structure that is predominantly Native American and Middle Eastern.” Did Smith think that Instagram Face was actually making people look better? He did. “People are absolutely getting prettier,” he said. “The world is so visual right now, and it’s only getting more visual, and people want to upgrade the way they relate to it.”

This was an optimistic way of looking at the situation. I told Smith that I couldn’t shake the feeling that technology is rewriting our bodies to correspond to its own interests—rearranging our faces according to whatever increases engagement and likes.