rhythmelodics

luka

except black. afro-futurist Blade Runner.

isn't kind of amazing that for the diversity of Blade Runner's cityscape there's not a single black person in all of Los Angeles? that I can recall, anyway.

still on my very short all-time list, but has to be noted

there's a tendency to equate black people with the soil and the soul. rooted. that's part of what afrofuturism was designed to redress.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
there's a tendency to equate black people with the soil and the soul. rooted. that's part of what afrofuturism was designed to redress.
that is interesting. I've always thought of it as dealing with the legacy of slavery, diaspora, and racism, but those aren't mutually exclusive either.

that seems like a Black American thing especially, the soil.

padraig (u.s.)

makes me of think of the Nazi conception of soil, returning to the soil, its idealized connection to lebensraum and so on

juxtaposition of cultural repurposings to completely opposite ends

I'm reading a back rn about the latter Roman Empire and as it declined the Emperor and his bureaucracy were endlessly passing ineffectual laws making trades and status hereditary, as well as banning peasants from moving. the origins of serfdom in Europe. could never get enough people to work the land after conquest stopped bringing in massive new influxes of slaves. just making me think about the soil.

Last edited:

luka

we need a 'bladerunner' thread. i have to get to work but perhaps when i get home tonight i'll start it and we can nail it down.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
rhythmelodics is that music that blurs rhythm and melody as opposed to making melody focus more on harmony and counterpoint. I.E: air on a g-string is rhythmic but not rhythmelodic.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Quite a bit of acid is rhythmelodic. Some 70s jazzfunk like Idris Muhammad Peace of Mind isn't.

this isn't a value judgment in any form. There is no hard rule that says all music has to be rhythmelodic.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
absolutely classic tune but not really rhythmelodic. like i said no value judgment. am i making sense?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
well, Ornette Coleman famously never explained what the hell he actually meant by harmelodics either

from a technical standpoint one would assume something to do with tuned percussion, polyrhythms, non-Western scales, and so on

but then there's Ed Rush and some pretty standard mid-90s UK techno and sweeping statements about white people, so who knows

i was referencing that afro american routes of kraftwork thread with the white people statement. i know eastern european (esp. balkan) music has a focus on rhythmelodics.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
you know what trance is rhythmelodic tho I bet is the original trance

the drone and the drum, shamans imitating the sounds of the wind and animals, evoking cthonic spirits

yeah i was talking about the 90s version but yeah. ofc these are not clearly demarcated territories. eden transmission I'm so high kinda skirts that line between rhythmelodic and rigidness. can't really say that for nearly all the the harmonic stuff though.

honestly that track is techno though.

luka

i was referencing that afro american routes of kraftwork thread with the white people statement. i know eastern european (esp. balkan) music has a focus on rhythmelodics.

youve pretty much got unimpeded access all the way from the balkans across central asia till you hit the wall of mountains that guard china. hence that shared soundworld.

padraig (u.s.)

rhythmelodics is that music that blurs rhythm and melody
well ya, but I was assuming filtered thru some kinda crit theory-derived mythmaking type of thing

think you're at the risk of having a definition so broad it doesn't actually mean anything but that is one of the beauties of coining neologisms

you know me I'll never stop quoting this record

just personally I'd 1000000 times rather listen to Caught Up In a One Night Love Affair than any Autechre thing ever, not that a person couldn't like both

incidentally sometimes I think Patrick Adams is my favorite disco producer, definitely he ran the best crew, so bangers from weird to sublime to weird and sublime

padraig (u.s.)

here's a highest order cultural-musical rhythmelodic feedback for you

a record that must be experienced at least once before one shuffles off the coil

in an alternate, better reality this is the most famous U.S./African collaboration instead of fucking Graceland