rhythmelodics

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
you know I do love Eden Transmission tho. some of the only trance worth the name. proper drug music. that guy - RIP - a true unsung weird hero.

the pinnacle of that roots of Goa continuum that is the darker weirder cousin of the cosmic Balearic continuum.

padraig (u.s.)

unimpeded access all the way from the balkans across central asia till you hit the wall of mountains that guard china
aka the steppe and surrounding environs

that's the history of most of Eurasia from the rise of the first horse peoples - 1000 BCEish or so - until gunpowder

why the boundaries of your soundworld coincide with the boundaries of where you can graze large herds of horses - in Europe, the plains of Hungary

endless cycles of nomads descending on cultivated lands, usually to raid/occasionally to conquer, driving cultural products before them

Balkans several centuries under the rule of the last horse people empire, the Ottomans

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
i stole the term off boomkat who stole it off some modern jazzcat I think.

When my new DAC and headphone cable comes I'll probably find some more.

padraig (u.s.)

don't get me wrong it's a solid neologism

but any jazzbo, or anybody who originated it, clearly got it off Coleman

luka

here's a highest order cultural-musical rhythmelodic feedback for you

a record that must be experienced at least once before one shuffles off the coil

in an alternate, better reality this is the most famous U.S./African collaboration instead of fucking Graceland

graceland is an acheived sublime. this sounds like music from a car advert.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
re the disco vs Autechre.

It's not a competition is it! I mean I get why @blissblogger was so ardent about defending hardcore against detroit techno purists in the UK but for a many of us (especially if we're minorities) they were both kinds of differing futurisms. Hardcore-detroit, not a competition for me.

jungle vs south london tech house, maybe that's a competition. my allegiance there is so blatantly obvious, otherwise i woudn't be on this forum.

Last edited:

luka

brown rice is goofy. but that doesn't mean everything he ever did is worthless.

CrowleyHead

i dunno man i gave brown rice another try after seeing it on one of our patron saint's lists but idk it just felt super goofy to me, not serious enough.

Dizzy Gillespie wasn't as serious as Charlie Parker but at the end of the day one of those men actually made Bebop happen and it wasn't Bird.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
yeah i guess. I just don't think you can really feel bebop in the comfort of your living room in the same way you can an Art Blakey lp. the recording technologies and ways of transmission were totally different. the percussive elements are always muffled. which in its own way has its own lofi charm.

CrowleyHead

I opined that Ornette's innovations are actually him being credited for decisions Cherry made. You opined Don Cherry's too silly. I pointed out that how an artist carries themselves as a performer or persona doesn't have anything to do with the work. You're now bringing up Art Blakey for reasons of "Oh well those albums are better produced" which has nothing to do with the music being made in a compositional sense.

Out of curiosity, why did you default to 'Brown Rice' as the definitive Don Cherry record? Are you secretly Gilles Peterson?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
alright smart arse i was talking about the time barrier. hard bop is easier for me to engage with cos the grooves are more pronounced.

and who the fuck is gilles peterson anyway?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
probably some wasteman american who doesn't understand the slightest thing about groove and puts on a transatlantic accent to prove hes cultivated.