Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: rhythmelodics

Quote Originally Posted by padraig (u.s.) View Post
    well, Ornette Coleman famously never explained what the hell he actually meant by harmelodics either

from a technical standpoint one would assume something to do with tuned percussion, polyrhythms, non-Western scales, and so on

but then there's Ed Rush and some pretty standard mid-90s UK techno and sweeping statements about white people, so who knows
    i was referencing that afro american routes of kraftwork thread with the white people statement. i know eastern european (esp. balkan) music has a focus on rhythmelodics.

arab pop that isn't rhythmelodic.

rai that is rhythmelodic:

Quote Originally Posted by padraig (u.s.) View Post
    you know what trance is rhythmelodic tho I bet is the original trance

the drone and the drum, shamans imitating the sounds of the wind and animals, evoking cthonic spirits
    yeah i was talking about the 90s version but yeah. ofc these are not clearly demarcated territories. eden transmission I'm so high kinda skirts that line between rhythmelodic and rigidness. can't really say that for nearly all the the harmonic stuff though.

honestly that track is techno though.

Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    i was referencing that afro american routes of kraftwork thread with the white people statement. i know eastern european (esp. balkan) music has a focus on rhythmelodics.
    youve pretty much got unimpeded access all the way from the balkans across central asia till you hit the wall of mountains that guard china. hence that shared soundworld.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Well Iím enjoying this eclectic and confusing thread, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    rhythmelodics is that music that blurs rhythm and melody
    well ya, but I was assuming filtered thru some kinda crit theory-derived mythmaking type of thing

think you're at the risk of having a definition so broad it doesn't actually mean anything but that is one of the beauties of coining neologisms

you know me I'll never stop quoting this record

just personally I'd 1000000 times rather listen to Caught Up In a One Night Love Affair than any Autechre thing ever, not that a person couldn't like both

incidentally sometimes I think Patrick Adams is my favorite disco producer, definitely he ran the best crew, so bangers from weird to sublime to weird and sublime

here's a highest order cultural-musical rhythmelodic feedback for you

a record that must be experienced at least once before one shuffles off the coil

in an alternate, better reality this is the most famous U.S./African collaboration instead of fucking Graceland

you know I do love Eden Transmission tho. some of the only trance worth the name. proper drug music. that guy - RIP - a true unsung weird hero.

the pinnacle of that roots of Goa continuum that is the darker weirder cousin of the cosmic Balearic continuum.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    unimpeded access all the way from the balkans across central asia till you hit the wall of mountains that guard china
    aka the steppe and surrounding environs

that's the history of most of Eurasia from the rise of the first horse peoples - 1000 BCEish or so - until gunpowder

why the boundaries of your soundworld coincide with the boundaries of where you can graze large herds of horses - in Europe, the plains of Hungary

endless cycles of nomads descending on cultivated lands, usually to raid/occasionally to conquer, driving cultural products before them

Balkans several centuries under the rule of the last horse people empire, the Ottomans

Quote Originally Posted by craner View Post
    eclectic and confusing thread
    congratulations, you have grokked the nature of harmelodics and by extension I'm sure rhythmelodics

i stole the term off boomkat who stole it off some modern jazzcat I think.

When my new DAC and headphone cable comes I'll probably find some more.

don't get me wrong it's a solid neologism

but any jazzbo, or anybody who originated it, clearly got it off Coleman

17. The Following User Says Thank You to padraig (u.s.) For This Useful Post: