Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: rhythmelodics

whereas this we could call the military industrial binary complex. the sound of biology and data sublated into a contraption that is alienated from us and exercises a power over us. ruthless, systematic, but also the sonic death of Klausiwitz. war is no longer politics, because the anti-politics of the self-valourisation of capital prevails. If traditionally we saw history as two streams of a river, the right one conservativism and the left one reformism, then we find it hard to conceive the bursting and flooding of this river, wich, in the final instance would be a route out of this impasse. it is ironic then, that this album is called the neurobiology of moral decision making, because it is quite literally the destruction of soul. and that is good.

Last edited by thirdform; 06-10-2018 at 09:11 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to thirdform For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    whereas this we could call the military industrial binary complex. the sound of biology and data sublated into a contraption that is alienated from us and exercises a power over us. ruthless, systematic, but also the sonic death of Klausiwitz. war is no longer politics, because the anti-politics of the self-valourisation of capital prevails. If traditionally we saw history as two streams of a river, the right one conservativism and the left one reformism, then we find it hard to conceive the bursting and flooding of this river, wich, in the final instance would be a route out of this impasse. it is ironic then, that this album is called the neurobiology of moral decision making, because it is quite literally the destruction of soul. and that is good.

this outstays its welcome but its basic premise is very good it think. those bits and bytes zipping past. particles of information in motion. this is something more brilliant than the sun insists on. these are not drums anymore. they are units of information. i think that is an important thing to hold onto.

the darbuka has a lightness yet paradoxically also a tactile force to it, this is why you can do accented 7/8 or 9/8 rhythms on the instrument where it literally feels like the rhythm is opening and closing. you can't really replicate that feel on a drumkit or using electronic drums.
    Dude, you say this and then post a jungle track right after! Jungle drums can do the darbuka thing so well. The snare rolls are just like the rapid-fire finger tip shit. The bass drums are the ever shifting pulse and the high pitched rimshots are the snare. If there was ever a drum to play jungle on it would be the darbuka. Just got back from some heavy assed jamming here in Maroc and I was thinking exactly this. The guy was playing jungle. Nice bit of synchronicity.

i agree you could play jungle on the darbuka.

But i think the choppage of breakbeat is not analogous. one is a kind of calculated gravitational machine funk, where the friction is condensed into the bass attack and brute cut.

the other is more like flowing water. it is more similar to gamelan in that regard.

if u listen to traditional eastern wedding songs in turkey, on the davul and zurna, the davul has that heaviness which better approximates jungles mix of burden and lift off.

i think tabla is the quintessential breakcore/idm instrument though. those 16 beat teentals are basically prehistoric breakcore.

the first song i posted on the first page has a very clockwork rhythm.. etc.
    yaaay! the new kid's playing with us!

i agree you could play jungle on the darbuka.

But i think the choppage of breakbeat is not analogous. one is a kind of calculated gravitational machine funk, where the friction is condensed into the bass attack and brute cut.

the other is more like flowing water. it is more similar to gamelan in that regard.

if u listen to traditional eastern wedding songs in turkey, on the davul and zurna, the davul has that heaviness which better approximates jungles mix of burden and lift off.

i think tabla is the quintessential breakcore/idm instrument though. those 16 beat teentals are basically prehistoric breakcore.
    Yeah choppage is not really possible to replicate by any other means. Am a drummer myself and by jove have I tried. But for the intricate shit in say Rings Around Saturn (which I'd say fits the flowing water description daily well) a darbuka could do a nice job. You'd probably want some kind of splashy cymbal to go with it tho.

Wouldn't mind a few examples of the Turkish wedding shit if you can be bothered

Word on tabla for breakcore mayhem.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to pattycakes_ For This Useful Post:

i dunno about any recordings we used to hear it at 3 AM on a sunday night from the other side of the city-town it was very heavy. i don't think there are any recordings that capture that.

ill have a look later next week.

dont dj is quite hit or miss but this one really does it for me, love hearing those phasing polyrhthms drift and return. simple and complex at the same time.

https://soundcloud.com/dont-dj-1/dont-dj-savanna-sundown

Steevio is a master of polyrhythms and tuned synthetic percussion.

this too

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    this outstays its welcome but its basic premise is very good it think. those bits and bytes zipping past. particles of information in motion. this is something more brilliant than the sun insists on. these are not drums anymore. they are units of information. i think that is an important thing to hold onto.
    i think the best record Gabor lazar's done is called crisis of representation so much so that an alternative title for it could be variations on the synth stab. it's still pretty systematic but more subtle than this one.

i think the best record Gabor lazar's done is called crisis of representation so much so that an alternative title for it could be variations on the synth stab. it's still pretty systematic but more subtle than this one.
    this is the best one, all bendy

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post

this is what version's weed dealer used to play when he was at school in Formby.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

17. The Following User Says Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

19. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post

nah man. this album was a massive step back for me. It's all restrained and sounds a bit like a generic bass music record. It's good for that but otherwise... it's just techno loops but without them being mangled.