rhythmelodics

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
i agree you could play jungle on the darbuka.

But i think the choppage of breakbeat is not analogous. one is a kind of calculated gravitational machine funk, where the friction is condensed into the bass attack and brute cut.

the other is more like flowing water. it is more similar to gamelan in that regard.

if u listen to traditional eastern wedding songs in turkey, on the davul and zurna, the davul has that heaviness which better approximates jungles mix of burden and lift off.

i think tabla is the quintessential breakcore/idm instrument though. those 16 beat teentals are basically prehistoric breakcore.

Yeah choppage is not really possible to replicate by any other means. Am a drummer myself and by jove have I tried. But for the intricate shit in say Rings Around Saturn (which I'd say fits the flowing water description daily well) a darbuka could do a nice job. You'd probably want some kind of splashy cymbal to go with it tho.

Wouldn't mind a few examples of the Turkish wedding shit if you can be bothered

Word on tabla for breakcore mayhem.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
i dunno about any recordings we used to hear it at 3 AM on a sunday night from the other side of the city-town it was very heavy. i don't think there are any recordings that capture that.

ill have a look later next week.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
this outstays its welcome but its basic premise is very good it think. those bits and bytes zipping past. particles of information in motion. this is something more brilliant than the sun insists on. these are not drums anymore. they are units of information. i think that is an important thing to hold onto.

i think the best record Gabor lazar's done is called crisis of representation so much so that an alternative title for it could be variations on the synth stab. it's still pretty systematic but more subtle than this one.

Leo

i think the best record Gabor lazar's done is called crisis of representation so much so that an alternative title for it could be variations on the synth stab. it's still pretty systematic but more subtle than this one.

this is the best one, all bendy

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
this is the best one, all bendy

nah man. this album was a massive step back for me. It's all restrained and sounds a bit like a generic bass music record. It's good for that but otherwise... it's just techno loops but without them being mangled.